What Goes Into an Exemplary Course
Here are five elements that make up exemplary courses at Ball State.
1: LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Objectives are the heart of the online course, and all course elements are designed to help students achieve the objectives.
- Include course-level and module-level objectives.
- Objectives are measurable, precise, and clear.
- Objectives are connected to materials, activities, and assessments.
2: ACTIVE LEARNING
Effective online courses give students opportunities to actively engage with the content, with each other, and with the instructor.
- Build community of learners and foster collaboration.
- Schedule frequent opportunities for interaction.
- Use active learning tools, such as discussion boards and groups.
3: INSTRUCTOR PRESENCE
The teacher is an integral part of making an online course come to life. They’re available to their students and facilitate communication.
- Welcome students to the course.
- Facilitate and participate in discussion boards.
- Hold student hours.
- Provide timely and meaningful feedback.
4: STUDENT SUPPORT
Online courses are designed with student success at the foundation of the course.
- Point students to resources that support them.
- Communicate with students who need help.
- Design flexible and inclusive course policies that promote student success.
5: ACCESSIBILITY & USABILITY
Online courses offer an opportunity for all learners to engage on their own terms, and exemplary online courses are designed to be accessible and usable by all.
- Create predictable, stable structures that are easy to navigate.
- Organize course content logically and consistently.
- Provide instructions for students on how to navigate the course.
- Include accessible design elements, such as alt text and OCR.