Abbie Guthrie, 2022 Ball State graduate, returns to campus as a student advisor for English, Philosophy and Religious Studies majors. For her first year as an advisor, Guthrie looks forward to celebrating students’ accomplishments; big and small.

Note: This interview was conducted by Grace Duerksen

What made you want to come back to Ball State as a faculty member? What are you looking forward to the most about working on campus?

I worked with students as a graduate instructor, and I loved seeing how students grew during their time at Ball State. Everyone has their own personal obstacles during their college experience, so I wanted to be a part of the team that helps students believe that they can get to graduation and pursue their dreams. I’m looking forward to hearing about all the successes that students experience over the year!

Do you have any specific methods you plan on using to help guide students during their time here?

I like to celebrate all successes, the small ones and the big ones. I also try and promote learning from obstacles or setbacks instead of letting them impact your overall perspective or journey. Will this impact me for two weeks, two months or two years? If it’s not two years, let it go and keep on! If it’s two weeks/two months, let’s troubleshoot and figure out next steps.

What advice do you have for students who are unsure about what to study?

First, I’ll say this is pretty common. Some people know exactly what they want to do when they come into university, but the majority have lots of interests and want to look at their options. My advice is to talk to everyone-your professors, advisors, and even network with people who have your possible “dream job”. We’re not gatekeepers, so no question is a bad one to ask when you’re exploring a possible major!

What advice do you have for students who are nervous to reach out to their advisors?

It can definitely be nerve-inducing when reaching out to someone you’ve never interacted with. But it can be so helpful, so it’s worth the leap! My advice is to communicate
with us in the way you feel most comfortable: email, phone, Zoom meeting, or in person. Once you make that initial connection or meeting, it’s easier to reach out next time. Also, learning the ins and outs of college is really difficult, so as advisors, we are happy to provide information that helps you take full advantage of your college experience.

What do you enjoy most about your profession?

I love that every day looks different, but I’m always supporting student success in some way. Some days are full of student meetings, and other days I’m catching up on administrative tasks like updating advising plans. This job definitely keeps me on my toes!

As a former cardinal, do you have a favorite Ball State landmark?

I love walking by Frog Baby during all the different seasons, especially when people dress it up for Halloween or a scarf and hat when it starts getting chilly.

For more information, visit the Department of English website and read these stories from other Ball State English grads.