Brianna Mauk earned her BA in Technical Writing from Eastern Kentucky University. She earned her MA in Rhetoric and Composition at Ohio University in Athens, OH, and she earned her PhD in Rhetoric and Writing at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, OH. Brianna specializes in new media, especially social networking, and researches the intersections between technology, mobility and writing. Brianna will be teaching first-year writing and Document Design. 

How would you describe your perspective on teaching?

I tailor each of my courses and assignments to tasks and concepts that students can transfer to the rest of their college careers at Ball State.

Scholars leave my class prepared for critical thinking, analysis, different types of writing, visual design and rhetoric, as well as finding reliable sources in a variety of modes.

I truly agree with the title of my ENG 103 text that “Everything is an Argument.”

What are your office hours?

MWF 10AM-11AM, W 1PM-2PM, by appointment both digital and in-person.

What are you currently reading, if anything?

JK Rowling’s novel, The Casual Vacancy. As well as readings on rhetoric and document design. I just finished End of Watch by Stephen King.

Are you working on any projects at the moment?

I am putting together a proposal for the 2018 “Computers and Writing” conference; if accepted it would be my third time presenting at the conference. I’m also keeping an eye on current CFPs dealing with teaching and technology. In addition, I am working on turning my doctoral dissertation into a book or chapter.

What are some of your hobbies or interests?

I have a shamelessly intimate relationship with Netflix. My pug, Bruno, is another light in my life, so we take lots of long walks and play fetch every day. To de-stress, I draw, sketch, and put together original art projects (one of which has been published!)

What is a piece of advice you would offer students?

GO TO CLASS. Know all the resources available to you from Ball State, as they are plentiful and helpful. Last, take care of yourself! Foster your own ability to learn by getting enough sleep, eating well, staying hygienic, and taking advantage of new experiences.