Angela Cox comes to us from the University of Arkansas, where she received her Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Composition. Her research is on definitions of genre and popular fantasy media. She will be teaching English 103 this semester. 

What are some of your hobbies or interests?

I like to dabble in pretty much anything creative that catches my eye. I’ve been sewing and doing other crafts for as long as I can remember; I learned how to spin yarn on a drop spindle when I was two years old. I also like to write fiction, especially fantasy novels, which is where my interest in researching National Novel Writing Month comes from. I’ve been participating (and winning!) every year since 2005, but I’m not sure if it’s for everyone. I also love analyzing video games, but I tend to play older games.

If any students want to come talk about video game analysis techniques or theory during office hours, I’d love to have that conversation and even help them with a project!

But, mostly, I just love cats.

Are you working on any projects at the moment?

Right now, I’m working on designing a research project that would investigate if quantity-over-quality approaches to writing, such as a National Novel Writing Month, where participants attempt to write 50,000 words of fiction in the 30 of November, have any positive impact on participants’ identities and abilities as writers. I’ve been curious about this for a long time, but there really isn’t any good research on it yet, just a lot of personal testimonials.

When are your office hours?

My office hours are Thursday, 10am-12pm and 2pm-4pm.

What is a piece of advice you would offer students?

I’d offer students two pieces of advice: go to class and go to office hours. The first is fairly self-evident, but the second took me a long time to learn as a student. It wasn’t until I was a junior in college at Ohio State that I figured out how important it was to talk to my instructors outside of class. When I was stuck and paralyzed on a paper, I went to my professor’s office hours to talk it through. He really went above and beyond to help me out, and the assignment became a formative learning experience for me.