When we interviewed Krishna Walker in 2015, she was an attorney at Bryan Cave, LLP in the firm’s St. Louis, Missouri office. Today, she’s the General Counsel at CareVet, a rapidly growing veterinary practice management company. Ms. Walker focuses her practice on complex transactional and business counseling matters. Her industry specialization includes financial services and non-profit organizations, and she regularly represents clients on matters including corporate governance, representation of lenders and borrowers in direct secured and unsecured loans; representation of agents, lenders, and borrowers in syndicated credit facilities, representation of lenders in fund financing facilities, representation of equity investors, sponsors, and lenders in new markets tax credit and historic tax credit transactions; and representation of a wide range of businesses in obtaining governmental incentives, including tax abatement, and other commercial transactions. Ms. Walker was active in student life at Ball State University, including being a member of the University’s Board of Trustees from 1995-1997, and being a member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated, Tau Nu Chapter.  You can contact her on LinkedIn. 

Krishna Walker

How did your degree in English lead to your job? What skills did you learn that helped you do that work–and the other work that you’ve done?

Each job I’ve had since graduating from Ball State has required me to analyze written work and to summarize suggested actions based on my analysis. My degree in English gave me a strong foundation on which to build. My initial plan was to be an English teacher, but I ended up going to graduate school for higher education/student personnel administration.

After graduate school, I was an admissions officer for several years, then I transitioned into business as a recruiter for investment banking jobs.

After five years in human resources roles, I went to law school. I have been practicing law at the same firm since 2008.

Each part of my career has required a different type of writing and analysis. The foundation I gained at Ball State prepared me to make those transitions. I took several poetry writing classes in addition to a business writing class, and all of the traditional literature classes that require intense academic writing.  

Learning how to write differently in the various classes prepared me to be aware of the audience and to write to the audience in front of me.

Do you have any advice for English majors who are trying to figure out what comes next in their lives?

Start figuring out what you want, and talk to faculty and administrators about it! When I was a senior, I knew that I wanted to live in New York City and I wanted to attend graduate school at a campus that was similar to Ball State, but at a private school. I told enough people this, and the recommendations started coming to me.

link to www.bsu.edu/compass

Click to learn more.

Specifically, how can Teaching majors learn more about the Teachers College at Columbia, where you are on the alumni council?

Teachers College is a great place for English majors who are considering any number of careers. In addition to K-12 education, Teachers College offers programs in higher education administration (my focus), adult education, psychology (including organizational psychology, which is a feeder into great business roles). I encourage individuals to first go to tc.edu, then if there are specific follow up questions, please contact me!