Dr. Jenna Menke dressed in a Doctoral cap and gownDr. Jenna Menke joins the Ball State Department of Mathematical Sciences as an Assistant Professor of Mathematics Education. 

What is your journey to Ball State?

I grew up in northern Illinois and earned my B.A. in mathematics, secondary education, and theology from the University of Saint Thomas in Houston, Texas and my Master of Mathematics Education degree from the University of Dayton in Dayton, Ohio. I taught high school mathematics in Cincinnati, Ohio before attending the University of Georgia, where I received my Ph.D. in mathematics education (Go Dawgs!). I am excited to be back in the Midwest and to be a part of a university that values quality instruction and student success.

What are your research and teaching interests?

My research and my teaching are very much intertwined as both are centered around teacher preparation. With respect to my research, I focus on what aspects of teacher preparation programs are most effective in preparing teachers and how we assess that preparedness. I am particularly interested in field experiences and the potential of video analysis to improve teacher noticing and reflection. I am grateful to have an opportunity to teach our mathematics methods courses for future teacher and implement many of the ideas that I have learned about (and continue to learn about) in my research.

What are some of your goals for your first year here?

My biggest goal for my first year is to get familiar with the great work already being done here at Ball State in teacher education and become a part of the partnerships that we have with local schools.

What do you like to do in your free time?

I love spending time outside (weather permitting) with my husband and our 1.5-year-old daughter, traveling to visit family and friends, and watching Georgia football.

For more information about the Department of Mathematical Sciences and other faculty, visit our website, blog, or contact our office.