College of Sciences and Humanities
The Compass Advantage Internship in Communications for AY 2021-22
aka “Student Project Managers” at 10 hours/week at $8 per hour
Seven appointments available in AY 2021-22. They may span one or two semesters; the length depends on your availability and how much you want to accomplish. Student interns receive pay for 150 hours of work for each semester at $8 per hr. Deadline for applications is Monday, 3/22/2021.
Job responsibilities will start in August 2021 and will include: serving the departments of:
4.) Modern Languages & Classics
5.) Philosophy & Religious Studies
Our primary work involves helping departments create community and tell stories via these projects:
- Weekly Digest Emails
- Publicizing student success via Dean’s List
- Cardinal Directions alumni blog posts
- Good News blog posts
- Promoting major events
- Fundraising (such as OBSD)
- Promoting courses
- Celebrating student success via awards ceremonies
- Alumni e-newsletters to be sent out at least 1-2 a year
- Promoting faculty success via Sabbatical Talks
- Telling bigger stories via mutli-channel campaigns.
Student Project Managers must attend all class meetings of ENG 375 which is tentatively scheduled to meet in F21 on MW at 3-4:15 PM; and other tasks as assigned.
Required qualifications: must be a major in CSH, preferably Anthropology, English, History, Modern Languages & Classics, and Philosophy & Religious Studies; excellent writing, editing, and design skills; project management skills; ability to train and manage a small team; ability to interact professionally with faculty and students; ability to manage a blog on WordPress; experience using Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for a professional purpose.
Preferred qualifications: experience using project management software such as Basecamp; InDesign experience; photography experience; Adobe Illustrator experience; Photoshop experience; experience in the English department’s immersive-learning class, ENG 375 known as Jacket Copy Creative or Compass Creative or another Ball State Immersive Learning course.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and the names of two Ball State references to Professor Kathryn Gardiner, Assistant Director of the Compass Advantage, firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate your position/s of interest and articulate your qualifications.
THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS MONDAY, MARCH 22 AT 5 PM.
Student Project Managers (10 hrs week)
Campaigns Project Manager
- Often works alongside the Director and Assistant Director, but works alone and does not direct a team of students.
- Oversees larger multi-channel projects, such as campaigns for recruitment and retention, awareness/education, large event promotion, entertaining themes, etc.
- synthesizes information submitted from clients
- Creates call-to-action and overall strategy
- Creates content and schedule for posting/publishing
- Sets SMART Goals for the campaign
- Hands the “ready-to-implement” campaign over to the other project managers to schedule.
Social Media Team Project Manager 1
- Runs the social media channels for English and History departments
- Oversees routine and ongoing social media tasks, such as performing social listening and monitoring
- Updating our content calendars.
- Scheduling and posting new content to Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Social media engagement.
Social Media Team Project Manger 2
- Runs the social media channels for Anthropology, MLC, and Phil/RS departments.
- Other duties same as above
Blog Team Project Manager
- Blog post development and editing
- Maintenance to WordPress sites, such as BQBI and Student History Conference
- Scheduling posts and making sure the schedule is posted on our Content Calendar
Curation Team Project Manager
- The curation team finds, organizes, annotates, and shares relevant and high-quality digital content on a specific topic for our audience.
- This takes two forms:
- Weekly emails to departments.
- Alumni e-newsletters
Design Team Project Manager
- responsible for all digital (hallway digital displays) and non-digital (bulletin boards) display spaces we maintain.
- creation of designed assets, such as posters, flyers, designed assets for social media posts, etc.
Channels Project Manager
- Works alone, not with a team of students
- Submits our work via various communication channels: Sitecore, Comm Center, Outlook, ChannelsHD, calendars
- Also responsible for Data Analytics, weekly audits, and SMART goals