The Estopinal College of Architecture and Planning Executive Advisory Board annually recognizes alumni who demonstrate outstanding professional success or achievement in their field of endeavor. We are pleased to announce this year’s winners.

DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI AWARD WINNERS

Katrin A. Klingenberg, M.ARCH, ’96
Executive Director & Co-Founder, Phius (Passive House Institute US)

Katrin Klingenberg is the executive director of Phius (Passive House Institute US). Phius is a 501(c)(3) organization committed to making high-performance passive building the mainstream market standard for achieving net zero energy. Phius is transforming the building sector by developing and promoting climate specific standards, practices and certifications for buildings, professionals, and products to create structures that are durable, comfortable, healthy, and super energy efficient.

In 2003, Ms. Klingenberg designed and completed the first home to meet passive house standards in the United States, the Smith House, and founded the Ecological Construction Laboratory, a non-profit housing development organization to build passive houses for low-income home buyers in Urbana, Illinois. Since then, she has designed and consulted on numerous successful passive house and building projects globally across varied climate zones and diverse cultures.

In 2015 she won the Woman in Sustainability Leadership Award (WSLA2015). 2017 she was one of 12 women entrepreneurs selected from around the world for the Global Ambassador Program of Vital Voices. In 2018 she was selected as one of the grand jurors for the Department of Energy Race to Zero Design Competition. 

CAP’s impact on my career:  
I arrived in Muncie from Berlin in 1994. My education had been very technical. At CAP, the focus was on design theory, systems thinking, creativity. Students and faculty from all over were inspiring. The first field trip was to a sustainability conference in NYC. CAP was THE leading school in the country at the time when it came to sustainability! Faculty helped to connect my technical skills with broader problem-solving and systems design. My education enabled me to design details for technical buildings first for Helmut Jahn and SCB in Chicago, then later to found and grow the non-profit Phius to design and implement building energy standards that set the building industry on the path to meeting global carbon reduction goals.

Patrick W. Pasterick, AIA, LEED AP, Architecture, ’83
Partner, CEO – Design Collaborative

After graduating from the College of Architecture and Planning at Ball State, Pat began working at a local architecture firm. For nearly 10 years, he worked on a large variety of projects and gained a wide array of knowledge in the industry. Along with Ron Dick, also a graduate from Ball State, and Terry Wagner, Pat was ready to jump into the deep end and start a firm of their own. In 1992, the three friends did just that.  

Design Collaborative was named for the founding partners’ desire to have the firm be a truly collaborative place that would live on long after the founding partners retired. They didn’t want the firm to be named after them, because they knew that everyone at the firm would have just as much significance as those who started the firm.  

From projects large and small, Pat was involved in many aspects, especially as principal or project manager. Pat’s true passion lies with the results of the projects – improving people’s worlds. No matter the type project, he recognizes how much a space can impact the people who live, work, and learn in that space. Pat is always looking for ways to serve the community, support non-profit organizations, and give back to those around him.

CAP’s impact on my career:
I am appreciative of CAP for exposing me to an incredible foundation of skills, knowledge and design sensibilities that I have been able to build upon over a 40 year career. CAP taught me how to think like an architect- critically, objectively, with an eye for detail – to solve complex problems through a creative means. The program challenged me- helping me develop a personal process and strengthening my self-discipline which ultimately instilled confidence. It awakened my curiosity and ignited an appreciation for the visual beauty around me.  The result has been a lifetime of opportunities for me to make a difference in the world in which I live.

John M. Ridenour, PLA, LEED AP, Landscape Architecture with Honors,
Magna Cum Laude, ’03
Senior Associate, Nelson Byrd Woltz Landscape Architects, LLC 

John Ridenour is a registered landscape architect and LEED accredited professional with over fifteen years of professional experience. John received his Master of Landscape Architecture degree from the Harvard Graduate School of Design and his Bachelor of Arts in Landscape Architecture from Ball State University. John has practiced at a wide range of project types and scales throughout his career, with extensive experience in urban landscapes and on-structure conditions. He has led numerous multi-disciplinary projects and design teams. 

Currently, John is working on numerous projects at varying scales, primarily large urban parks focused on integrating ecological and cultural systems with contemporary program requirements. He’s responsible for leading all aspects of project design and implementation including client communication, design team oversight, public engagement, construction documentation, construction administration, proposals/contracts, staffing, and marketing efforts.

CAP’s impact on my career:
When I first started at CAP I thought I would be following in my sister’s footsteps and headed to the architecture program.  But before the first year was complete, it was clear that I was drawn to the field of landscape architecture.  The five year program ultimately provided the core design, technical, and hands-on skills needed to transition to graduate school and eventually my professional career.  CAP’s hybrid studios and collaborative work environment fostered cross-disciplinary interaction, the sharing of ideas, and close relationships with classmates and professors, some of which are now lifelong friends.  While at CAP, I was introduced to the significant shift taking place in the academic and professional world of landscape architecture in the late 90’s and early 2000’s where landscape architects were taking on a more prominent and meaningful role within the larger design industry.  The program at CAP inspired me to understand what the field of landscape architecture could be, how we as landscape architects could be team leaders, and how our efforts could have a lasting, transformational impact on people and place.

OUTSTANDING AWARD WINNERS

Mark R. Beebe, AIA, RID, LEED AP, NCARB, Architecture ’98
Owner at Beebe Design, LLC

Mark Beebe began his professional career in a small practice in Colorado Springs, Colorado that specialized in residential design. Working there for Elizabeth Wright Ingraham, FAIA was truly foundational for Mark. Being a very small firm, Mark learned that running an architecture practice requires wearing a lot of hats. In addition to this, as Elizabeth was the granddaughter of Frank Lloyd Wright and instructed by Mies van der Rohe, she had a very unique approach to design. This approach has influenced Mark’s sensitivities to material and form from the very beginning.

Mark has spent the last 20+ years of his career in several Indianapolis firms where he has been given the ability to lead the design process on university and community-based projects. Ten years ago Mark started his own architectural firm (LANCER + BEEBE, LLC) which is focused on education design as well as community-based urban redevelopment and mixed-use. This new firm has already experienced significant growth and high-design opportunities and ranks among the premier firms of Indianapolis, and 9th in highest-grossing architecture firms in central Indiana.

CAP’s impact on my career:
Mark’s design career began in London, England at a fast-paced multi-national design firm where he participated in international design competitions. From there he settled in central Indiana where he has focused his career as a recognized design leader on education and community-based projects. The CAP program challenged him to view architecture as a means to achieve positive change in the world, and equipped him with the design and leadership tools to develop inspirational work that responds to a larger context. 

Victoria A. Nichols, AIA, NCARB, LEED, Architecture ’95
Partner at ZGF Architects

Victoria is a Partner at ZGF Architects and has more than 24 years of experience managing the planning, programming, and design of a variety of projects in the healthcare sector. She brings expertise in facilitating the Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) process, as well as in Lean planning and design. Her focus is on collaborating with project teams and stakeholders to deliver patient-focused facilities that provide clients with optimal value. Victoria’s holistic approach has led to highly flexible, award-winning healthcare environments for clients including Seattle Children’s Hospital, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital and Medical Center, and the Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago. 

CAP’s impact on my career:
Attending BSU College of Architecture and Planning allowed me to explore the related fields of landscape architecture and urban planning before committing to the architecture curriculum. The approach to architectural education, one of fundamentally developing the skills and tools to be problem-solvers, gave me the confidence to explore a range of building types early in my career. Architecture is a profession of life-long learning and developing that mindset during my time at the College of Architecture and Planning prepared me to jump into challenging projects viewing them as the opportunities. The size of the College of Architecture and Planning and the diversity of students created a culture of challenging our thinking, building our skills, forcing us to ask tough questions of our work, all with support and comradery of close classmates. 

Adam W. Owens, Construction Management ’09
President & Chief Executive Officer – RL Turner Corporation

Adam has worked for only one company since graduating from Ball State University—RLTurner. In just 11 years, he raced from intern to President/Chief Executive Officer. As one of BSU’s earliest students of its construction management program, Adam worked long hours and set lofty goals of one day leading the company. His quick climb up the RLTurner ladder is matched only by the speed of his 707-horsepower Dodge Hellcat. Calling it “Badcat” when his young son is nearby.  

CAP’s impact on my career: 
Without Ball State’s Construction Management program, I honestly don’t know where I’d be today. The program not only prepared me for a future in the construction industry and gave me the knowledge and experience needed to succeed, but it also helped put my life on track. With the support and guidance of our program, and by establishing a deep connection with individuals like Dr. Jim Jones, I truly felt that I had found my path. As one of the program’s earliest graduates, I strive to represent Ball State well. I also ascribe to the notion of giving back to my alma mater to help guide the students who graduated after me. I am truly humbled by this prestigious honor, and I hope my career continues to reflect its high standard.  

Nichole Sheehan, Landscape Architecture with Honors, Cum Laude,’01
Project Manager at Chicago Park District

Nichole Sheehan is a focused, reliable project manager with over 20 years of experience in project management and landscape architecture. She believes in a collaborative and team-based approach to developing innovative solutions to design problems. Nichole’s depth of experience includes comprehensive planning, program management, urban design, grant writing, permit coordination, project quality assurance, construction management, project close-out and management plans.  With an in-depth knowledge of the design process, Nichole has taken highly complex projects from early design stages through construction.  Her demonstrated ability to implement large and complex projects is evident through the 800+ acres of built work in the Midwest totaling over $450 million. 

Before her project manager position at the Chicago Park District, Nichole worked as a landscape architect in the private sector. During this time, she developed a strong understanding of the design and construction processes and can deliver a successful project from start to finish. As a landscape architect, she has demonstrated exceptional skill in the planning and design of a wide variety of recreation projects in urban and suburban settings. Nichole has navigated demanding schedules, budget constraints and team coordination with skill and patience. Nichole helped clients visualize large opportunities while minding the details that give their projects distinction.

Lynette Boswell Washington, PhD, Master of Urban and Regional Planning ’03
Chief Operating Officer of School and Facilities Planning for Baltimore City Public Schools

As chief operating officer of school and facilities planning for Baltimore City Public Schools, Dr. Washington oversees the planning of new and renovated school facilities as a part of the $1 billion 21st Century School Building Plan. The plan, which started in the fall of 2010, is being used as the catalyst to fund the modernization of Baltimore’s public schools for students in neighborhoods across the city and to spur the revitalization of surrounding communities. She also leads a team of facility planners in school level spatial analysis, utilization studies and rezoning work for students impacted by the plan. 

Before joining city schools, Washington was the division chief of research and strategic planning for Baltimore City Planning Department, where she was responsible for research, policy, market analysis, and strategic planning efforts to support city agencies. While in this role, she led the development of the citywide Sustainable Communities Plan, used to support and prioritize redevelopment initiatives in the city.  

G.O.L.D AWARD WINNERS (Graduate of the Last Decade)

Paul R. Desmond, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP BD+C, M.ARCH ’15
Vision + Design Director, Founder of FORM FUNCTION STUDIO

Paul is the Vision + Design Director, Founder of FORM FUNCTION STUDIO. He helped start FORM FUNCTION in 2019 with a mission of bring an elevated design practice to the community of Cedar Rapids. Paul’s previous experience at a wide range of firms in Louisville, Indianapolis, and Cedar Rapids allowed him to gain valuable experience in a plethora of building typologies. From community focused healthcare and institutional work in Kentucky, boutique commercial and high end contemporary custom homes in Indianapolis to higher education facilities and community focused design in Cedar Rapids, Paul focuses on providing a unique and uniquely crafted solution to each project and team he works on.

CAP’s impact on my career: 
CAP’s impact on my career first started with professors seeing something in me that I couldn’t see in myself. Dan Woodfin, Rod Underwood, Harry Eggink, Olon Dotson, Andrea Swartz, Josh Coggeshall, and many others took the time to develop a skillset I never thought I could have. They gave me paths to think critically, communicate a vision, and how dedicating your work to elevating the lives of others can be extremely rewarding. CAP provide me an opportunity to see the world, literally; World Tour, 103 days of life changing experiences that forever altered my outlook on how Architecture, Landscape, Planning, and Design progress cities and countries. Most importantly, CAP taught me that no matter where you are living or working, great design can happen there, and deserves to.  

Michael O. Key, Construction Management ’12
Owen Key Construction Services

Indianapolis born and raised, Michael Key has spent his entire professional career helping to construct not only impressive projects in Indianapolis like the renovations to Hinkle Fieldhouse at Butler University and the International Orangutan Center at the Indianapolis Zoo, but also mixed-use / multi-family projects across the country.  

The Irvington Historic District native spent his early career with Turner Construction Group and Buckingham Companies. In 2017, he received the opportunity to join Milhaus as Regional Director of Construction and move from Nashville to Tampa to oversee all construction operations and assist in starting their office in the Tampa market. Two years later, Key took on the role of VP of Construction Operations back in his hometown of Indianapolis where he oversaw all Milhaus Construction Services and streamlined reporting processes across the entire company. A few short years later, Key was made Vice President of Construction at Milhaus overseeing the entire Construction Department at Milhaus

In May of 2021, Key decided to venture out on his own & establish Owen Key Construction Services. Key’s work achievements are outstanding on their own. His passion for enhancing Indianapolis, especially the Fountain Square neighborhood, combined with his passion for construction management, shows his deep investment in bettering downtown Indianapolis.  

CAP’s impact on my career:
Ball State, CAP, & the Construction Management Program at Ball State have all had a profound impact on my life & my career. I will be forever grateful for the experiences, relationships, & knowledge CAP provided me. I will never forget making the decision to attend Ball State over other well respected CM programs, & the decision was based solely on the staff, faculty, & philosophy of the program. My instincts were accurate fifteen years ago, as the program exceeded expectations. The university gave me a foundation of tools, but more importantly relationships for a lifetime, which have been key in my career growth. I am blessed to be a Ball State CAP / CM alumnus.  

Cassandra A. Rice, PLA, AICP, ASLA, Landscape Architecture with Honors, Cum Laude, ’12
Project Manager,

Cassandra is a Landscape Architect and Planner whose work spans a variety of scales and project types—from parks and schools to design guidelines and strategic planning. She seeks to help clients create roadmaps for their futures grounded in evidence-based, context-sensitive solutions that integrate industry expertise with community input. As a passionate advocate for community-centered processes, she brings exciting and innovative public outreach strategies to her projects, with a focus on designing “with,” not “for,” the communities we serve.  

CAP’s impact on my career:
My education at CAP provided me with the fundamental skills I needed to begin and advance my career as a landscape architect and urban planner. The professors and mentors I had the privilege of learning from at CAP demonstrated how the work landscape architects and planners do directly impact people and create spaces for living, learning, wellness, memories, and joy. Grounded on a foundation of design thinking, I was able to launch my career in the private sector, where I’ve worked with clients and communities from all over the nation to improve their public spaces. 

Ashley Thornberry, AIA, NCARB, M.ARCH ’15
Senior Associate, Axis Architecture

Having over 8 years of professional experience, Ashley Thornberry’s fascination with Architecture began at a young age and has never waned. Her perspective was shaped, in part, by road trips with her family where she saw firsthand how buildings were shaped by their contextual surroundings. 

Ashley is a leader in the American Institute of Architects (AIA) from the city to the national level, currenting serving as the Indiana Young Architect Representative for the Young Architects Forum (YAF). She has a strong believe that mentorship is a two-way street and she believes she gets as much out of building strong relationships with younger architects as they do. Ashley received an AIA Special Service Award in 2017 and was a graduate of the Christopher Kelley Leadership Development Program in 2020. She also serves as a board member for Rebuilding Together Indianapolis. 

Ashley brings a minimalist design style to her work, shaped by authenticity. Designing with the end user in mind, she is always examining how non-stakeholders will feel upon entering a building and believes that emotion is a crucial metric for good design. These considerations of how people will feel and experience a space shape many of her decisions. 

Past Alumni Award Winners