Dr. Josh Mannix joins the Department of Mathematical Sciences as an Assistant Teaching Professor of Mathematical Sciences. 

What is your journey to Ball State?

Portrait of Josh Mannix

My journey to Ball State is actually a journey back to Ball State. I did my undergraduate degrees in Math and Math Teaching at Indiana State, and then taught middle and high school math on the west side of Indianapolis. While teaching, I completed a master’s in math at IUPUI and then a master’s in Educational Psychology through Teacher’s College here at BSU. I completed my doctorate in Math Education at NC State this past fall, and here I am!

What are your research and teaching interests?

My research interests are fairly diverse, though they primarily center on math anxiety and mathematical beliefs. My dissertation research examined math anxiety in middle and secondary math teachers across the country. Other research interests include professional development, student and teacher learning of geometry, and most recently grading and assessment practices in math classes.

As far as teaching goes, I love working with pre-service teachers and self-declared “non-math people.” Geometry is my favorite thing to teach, but I also enjoy teaching personal finance and other topics that a majority of students can apply in their daily lives.

What are some of your goals for your first year here?

This year, my goals are to connect with the Ball State community (primarily students, faculty, and staff), to begin uncovering what best teaching practices look like in a college setting, and to continue exploring some of my research interests.

What do you like to do in your free time?

Dr. Josh Mannix outside with sunglasses on

Outside of the classroom, I enjoy taking walks with my dog, traveling whenever and wherever possible, and pursuing creative activities, especially musical ones. Before I left Indy to begin my PhD, I sang with the Indianapolis Symphonic Choir, and I would like to do that again in the near future.

For more information about the Department of Mathematical Sciences and other faculty, visit our website, blog, or contact our office.