The Ball State University Foundation Top 100 Student Awards recognizes 100 outstanding junior and senior undergraduates at Ball State University who represent Beneficence both in and out of the classroom. We are thrilled to highlight the winners from Teachers College. Next up is Madison Groves.

Major/Minor:

Family and Child Studies with a concentration in Child Life

Projected Graduation Date:

May 2023

Hometown:

Avon, IN

What made you choose Ball State?

The top reason I chose Ball State was for the Family and Child Studies department as Ball State is the only school in the state of Indiana to have a concentration in child life! My visit my junior year was also amazing – perfect weather, wonderful tour guide. It all fell together so perfectly.

Are you involved with any campus organizations?

I am involved in Phi Mu, a sorority on campus. During my time in Phi Mu, I was the Vice President of Chapter Development. I have also served on our Panhellenic council as the Vice President of Recruitment that oversees the 10 chapters!

What made you want to become an educator/teacher?

I grew up very centered around helping with children. My aunt was the preschool/nursery director at my church when I was younger and I was able to help serve at a very young age. From there, I knew it was what I wanted to do! She was a very inspiring role model, and it was where I built my initial foundation of wanting to work with children/becoming an educator.

Do you have any plans for what you would like to do after you graduate?

After graduation, I plan on attending either Ball State University or Vanderbilt University to get my Masters of Higher Education. I have changed my path of educating the youth and have transitioned more into the role of serving and educating college students. From this, however, I have been able to see a huge crossover of theories and practices within Family and Child Studies and Higher Education!

Do you have any hobbies? If so, what?

I like to say I am creative! I like to paint, design graphics, and I also do calligraphy. Currently I am working on making Ball State Code Red’s shirts for their national competition coming up in April!

Fun fact about yourself:

I won Living Learning Community of the Year for 2022. I worked as the Academic Peer Mentor within the Honors Living Community for two years and it was hands down my favorite job I have ever had.

Is there anything else you would like to add? Any fun projects you are working on? Favorite class/professor? Etc.

I am currently working on my Honors College thesis with Nancy McCurdy. I am creating a Ball State University Guidebook to becoming a Certified Child Life Specialist. I am compiling every detail you could possibly think of pertaining to child life (required courses, practicum, internship, the exam, etc.) and the Ball State curriculum to create an accessible and easy to read booklet to pass out to current and prospective students.

Congratulations Madison!

Congratulations to all of the Teachers College Top 100 Students:

*Abbey Armstrong

Isabella Barounes

*Kathryn Burbrink

Jada Cooper

Nicole Diaz-Castillo

*Madison Groves

Stacia Hazlett

Mikayla Kirkling

*Lauren Langness

*Alexa Leisure

Kendra Loos

*Leah Meersman

Cole Miller

Sarah Owens

Erin Rossiter

*Isabella Watts

*Aubrey Wilson

*=Top 50