Teachers College Alumni Award winners honored on campus on Wednesday, January 18, 2023.

Each year Teachers College (TC) honors a few of our outstanding alumni with awards that celebrate the impact that they have on their community, field, and the TC family.

Jordan Dalton – Teachers College Young Alumni Award Winner

Jordan Dalton is a recipient of a Teachers College Young Alumni Award. She graduated in 2013 with a bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education with a minor in English as a second language. For the last 10 years she has been working at Nora Elementary School in Indianapolis. For the first six years she taught first grade, then transitioned to second grade. At the end of the 2019-2020 school year she was selected as the Teacher of the Year at Nora Elementary.

What made you want to earn a degree in education?

I always knew I wanted a career with kids. I love their curiosity and eagerness to learn. I love being a part of shaping their future.

What made you choose Ball State?

I chose Ball State for the feeling it gave me on my first visit. I remember pulling up with my mom and sister and thinking how comfortable it felt. I loved the campus and community and knew it would be a great fit for me personally and professionally.

Do you have a favorite part of your time at Ball State? What do you look back on and remember fondly?

My favorite memory from Ball State is my summer trip to Malawi where I taught at an orphanage with fellow Ball State students. We spent time teaching English to students and put together a professional development day for educators. We also enjoyed Lake Malawi and a safari trip.

What advice would you give to someone just starting out at Ball State?

Enjoy every moment. Take risks and open yourself up to all the opportunities and experiences.

What is your favorite part of working in education?

The kids. I love building relationships with kids and helping them become the best version of themselves.

Do you have any hobbies, or favorite things you do to relax that you would like to share with us?

I love playing card games, going to concerts, hanging out with my friends, and visiting family in Minnesota.

Fun fact about yourself:

I have lived in 7 states.