The Ball State University Foundation Top 100 Student Awards recognizes 100 outstanding junior and senior undergraduates at Ball State University who represent Beneficence both in and out of the classroom. We are thrilled to highlight the winners from Teachers College.

Tavyn Smith

Inspiration

Tavyn Smith is a senior from Woodstock, Georgia, studying Elementary Education. She has wanted to be a teacher since kindergarten. Her kindergarten, first, and second grade teachers had a big influence on her:

“They made coming to school fun, and I always looked forward to seeing them every day. I am still in close communication with all of them. I want to be the teacher they were for me for the young leaders of today!”

Student Life

At Ball State, Tavyn stays busy with the Marvelous Mu chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Ball State Cardinal Teacher Corps., Delta Upsilon chapter of Order of Omega, and Student Representative for Ball State’s Young Alumni Council. She is a Ball State feature student, and she is a past National Pan-Hellenic Council president.

Tavyn Smith Jacket

Tavyn is currently student teaching, and she is loving the experience:

“It is getting me very excited to have my own classroom next school year. I have loved all my professors in Teachers College, but I would like to send a special shout-out to Mrs. Janet Jenkins. She was my professor last semester and she really helped ease my nerve on lesson planning and student teaching!”

Graduation and Fun Facts

Tavyn will be graduating this May. After graduation she plans on starting her teaching career in an elementary school in Indiana.

In her spare time, she loves spending time with her family and friends. A fun fact about Tavyn is that she is a three-time Ball State legacy. Her mom, dad, and brother are all Ball State alums!

Congratulations Tavyn!