During the Fall 2020 semester, the Black Alumni Constituent Society (BACS) held a crowdfunding campaign to raise money for their book scholarship fund. Now that the campaign has concluded, scholarships were awarded for the Spring 2021 semester.

Including this year, more than 100 students have received the Book Scholarship through BACS. These students have had to overcome many hardships in their lives and are from varying economic backgrounds.

Janaiah Strong

Janaiah Strong

“The BACS Book Scholarship has helped me purchase all of my textbooks this semester and save money,” said Janaiah Strong, a Spring 2021 Book Scholarship recipient. “Being an independent college student, it’s one less bill I have to worry about.”

Many students that receive the Book Scholarship come from single- or no-parent households, and many are first-generation college students. Although these students are enthused about attending Ball State, they have concerns about being able to pay for books and having the financial means to finish college.

Brittany Slack

Brittany Slack

“The BACS Book Scholarship has been such a blessing to me!” said Brittany Slack, a Spring 2021 Book Scholarship recipient. “I am truly grateful for this organization. Because of this scholarship, I didn’t have to stress about how I was going to pay for books. A huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders this semester.”

Students who are eligible to apply for the Book Scholarship can apply via the form located on the Black Alumni Constituent Society webpage. For those interested in supporting the Book Scholarship fund, please visit bsu.edu/give.