Much has been going on this summer at the David Owsley Museum of Art. One of my fellow interns, Ivana Armstrong, has been working hard on her project. Here is a little bit from her about what she’s been doing as part of her internship:

Ivana Armstrong researches her theme.

Ivana Armstrong researches her theme.

“Hi! My name is Ivana Armstrong and I am one of the interns here at the David Owsley Museum of Art for the summer of 2013. I will be a senior in the fall and am majoring in Art History with a double minor of History and German. This summer, I am researching and organizing the exhibition of 1890s French posters that will be held in the Brown Study Room once school begins again in the fall. The exhibition, Affiomanie: European advertising posters 1890-1900, will feature several large-scale posters, designed by artists such as Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Alphonse Mucha, and Pierre Bonnard. I will draw ties between these artists, their work, and a long tradition of Classical influence that was given a new spin at the close of the 19th century. Roots of Greek and Roman ideology are found in the midst of colorful ornamentation and rays of classical mythology shine through the faces of modern celebrities, delicately printed and posted on every street corner.

For me, this work is tremendously exciting and allows me to investigate various ways of presenting artistic material to an audience. This skill will, no doubt, prove to be invaluable as I move forward with aspirations of becoming a professional art historian. I look forward to sharing these breathtaking images with the community and a small part of the wealth of fascinating information that I have had the privilege to explore this summer.”

Here are a couple of the French posters that will be on display:

Mademoiselle Marcelle Lender, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, 1895

L'eclair, Eugene Charles Paul Vavasseur, 1897

L’eclair, Eugene Charles Paul Vavasseur, 1897

To hear more details about her project, come to the Intern Showcase on Wednesday, July 17 at 11 a.m. in the Brown Study Room. In addition, Jennifer Tellman and I (Rochelle Martin) will also be talking about our projects. Here’s what each of us will be talking about:

Ivana Armstrong
Poster Mania
Researching Classical Undertones of the Modern Poster

Jennifer Tellman
Exploring New and Old
Tour Planning for Historic Art and New Galleries

Rochelle Martin
Visual and Verbal Expression
Writing in the Museum and Special Exhibitions

Interested in interning at the David Owsley Museum of Art? For more information, click here. Or come to the Intern Showcase and ask us what it’s like! The deadline for the fall semester has passed, but there is plenty (and I mean plenty) of time to apply for spring.

Watch for the next post where Jennifer Tellman will elaborate about her summer project and what she has been up to.