By Sarah Murray, BUPD 2020

Field trip week is always one of my favorite weeks of the year. The Charlotte, NC, and Greenville, SC, trip was definitely the best of all the trips I have taken with CAP.

In Charlotte, NC, we visited the Levine Museum of the New South, the development of the light rail, the large scale redevelopment project CAMP North End, Charlotte’s Department of Transportation’s Cycle Track Project Public Meeting and the many developing neighborhoods along the light rail. In Greenville, SC, we tour a walking tour along Main Street, one of the most popular streets in the city, visited Liberty Bridge at Fall Parks on the river and visited their city hall.

Field trip week is meant to open our eyes and broaden our perspective on different topics and that’s exactly what this trip did for me. We spoke with so many professionals ranging from young to experienced and non-profit to private and learned about many different aspects of planning, redevelopment and sustainable efforts.

My biggest takeaway from the week was there is still so much to learn about planning and numerous impacts planners can make on cities and communities. I’m very excited to see what my peers do in the future with this profession and the difference we can make as planners.