The Ball State University Foundation Top 100 Student Awards recognizes 100 outstanding junior and senior undergraduates at Ball State University who represent Beneficence both in and out of the classroom. We are thrilled to highlight the winners from Teachers College. Next up is Sarah Owens.

Major/Minor:

Special Education – Intense Interventions

Projected Graduation Date:

May 2025

Hometown:

Brownsburg, Indiana

What made you choose Ball State?

The Teachers College is what drove me to choose Ball State! I knew that they were the best in Indiana for an education degree. I have had wonderful experiences with Teachers College faculty, and I have never regretted my decision to come to Ball State.

Are you involved with any campus organizations?

I am the representative for the Teachers College in the Student Government Association. Within that role, I am the Chair of the Community and Environmental Affairs Committee. Additionally, I am a General Manager in College Mentors for Kids. I write for an online magazine called Her Campus which is written for college women by college women. I am the Affairs Director for Ball State Democrats, and the Outreach Deputy Director for College Democrats of Indiana. Lastly, I am the Vice President of Learning and Development for Kappa Delta Sorority.

What made you want to become an educator/teacher?

I have wanted to be a teacher since I can remember. The teachers in my life have always been people that I have looked up to as change-makers. I want to empower students to change the world, because I was empowered to change the world.

Do you have any plans for what you would like to do after you graduate?

I want to teach outside of Indiana. My preferable location would be anywhere warm. I want to teach in a middle school severe special education classroom. My perfect school environment would integrate inclusion into their special education program.

Do you have any hobbies? If so, what?

I love to read, and just finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey. When I am home, I love to sew. I’m super crafty, too.

Fun fact about yourself:

I love the outdoors! I paddle board all the time and I work as a zip-line instructor.

Is there anything else you would like to add? Any fun projects you are working on? Favorite class/professor? Etc.

I am working on some political efforts regarding SB 305, and I worked for a long time on a presentation to Teachers College faculty on identity first language from a student’s perspective! My favorite class this semester is SPCE 331: Technology in Education with Dr. Craig, because it is so relevant and useful in my field.

Congratulations Sarah!

Congratulations to all of the Teachers College Top 100 Students:

*Abbey Armstrong

Isabella Barounes

*Kathryn Burbrink

Jada Cooper

Nicole Diaz-Castillo

*Madison Groves

Stacia Hazlett

Mikayla Kirkling

*Lauren Langness

*Alexa Leisure

Kendra Loos

*Leah Meersman

Cole Miller

Sarah Owens

Erin Rossiter

*Isabella Watts

*Aubrey Wilson

*=Top 50