Liz Salser is one of twelve winners of the 2022-2023 William & Evelyn Stokes Art or Mathematics Educators Scholarships award. The scholarship is dedicated to supporting students demonstrating financial need in pursuing an undergraduate degree in Art or Math education at Ball State University. As the 2023-2024 deadline to apply approaches, we are highlighting a few of this year’s winners.

Name:

Liz Salser (She/Her)

Hometown:

Fort Wayne, Indiana

High school extracurricular activities:

Played volleyball, National Honor Society, student council, class officers

Are you involved with any sports or clubs, etc. at Ball State? If so, what?

I play volleyball at the rec [Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center].

What are you studying at Ball State?

Art education with a focus in ceramics.

What makes you want to become an educator/teacher?

I want to be an art educator so that I can impact students’ lives. I want to be able to encourage them to use their voices to make changes in our society and communities. I also want them to be able to use art as a tool for self-expression. I want to be an art educator so that I can create a safe environment for my students for learning and development.

What made you choose Ball State?

I choose to attend Ball State University because it was near to my home but also because of the amazing art program. Originally, I wanted to leave Indiana and I checked out eight colleges in Florida. After searching, I realized their art programs were small and most of them had tiny buildings that contained the majority of the art program.

Ball State had a huge building with many more opportunities than any other college I visited. Plus they have a vent system so we are not breathing toxic fumes that come with art.  My brother had gone to Purdue and when visiting him I knew that I wanted a smaller campus. However, since I came from a small school, I knew I wanted to still have the opportunity to see new faces all the time without the hassle of a big campus. Ball State was a medium size and when visiting it felt perfect. Many colleges didn’t even offer art education as a degree and only would give it as a certificate. Ball State is a teaching college so I knew they could best cater to not only the educational side but also the artistic side of my degree.

Do you have any hobbies? If so, what?

I enjoy reading, playing volleyball, and painting with watercolor.

Fun fact about yourself:

Fun fact is I love butterflies!

Do you have a favorite artist, art style, or media?

My favorite media is watercolor or ceramics!

Congratulations to all of the 2022-2023 William & Evelyn Stokes Art or Mathematics Educators Scholarship winners!

Sara Bohm – Art

Kearia Eckhart – Math

Diana Evans – Math

Brenda Harder – Math

Kiley Hurst – Art

Alexzander Mitchell – Math

Lillian Mull – Math

Megan Pax – Art

Elizabeth Salser – Art

Lillian Trinidad – Art

Valerie Weston – Math

Kaitlyn Yeager – Art

Apply now for the 2023-2024 William & Evelyn Stokes Art or Mathematics Educators Scholarship

The application deadline for the 2023-2024 academic year is Friday, November 18, 2022, at 5:00 p.m. EST.

APPLY NOW