Four recent Ball State University graduates have been chosen for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. This program is one of the most prestigious and widely recognized international programs, which grants support for pursuing graduate studies, conducting research, or teaching English abroad.

This year’s Ball State Fulbright U.S. Student Program selections include Teachers College graduate Alexis Pitchford.

Alexis Pitchford GraduationTime at Ball State

Originally from Carmel, Indiana, Alexis always loved school, especially reading and writing. That love, and the fact that she enjoys helping others and seeing growth in students, drew her to pursue a career in education.

Though she had originally planned on attending a different university, she changed her mind after touring Ball State. She says that the campus was so welcoming, she knew it was the place for her.

After graduating in December 2021 with a bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education, and a minor in Psychology of Human Development, Alexis chose to return to Ball State to complete a master’s degree in Educational Psychology.

“I decided to stay at Ball State for my master’s degree because I was familiar with the faculty within the educational psychology department, and I appreciated what the program had to offer. The program was a perfect match for my career goals.”

Alexis Pitchford WaterWhen asked about a favorite memory of her time at Ball State, Alexis speaks fondly of her tutoring job.

“I was a tutor at the Ball State Writing Center. As of now, this is the best job I’ve ever had. I met so many different people. Working there helped me grow as a writer. I was always excited to go to work because there was never a dull moment. I truly enjoyed collaborating with clients.”

Alexis also notes that meeting Department of Elementary Education Associate Lecturer Katie Bransteter made a significant impact on her.

“Mrs. Bransteter showed me what I can bring to the field of education, even when I was doubtful of my ability.”

Having Fun

Outside of classes, Alexis was heavily involved with the Make-A-Wish chapter at Ball State, including maintaining executive positions, which she notes was quite a meaningful experience. She was also involved with Hillel, the Jewish student organization, and she often volunteered at the local synagogue in Muncie.Alexis Pitchford France

In her spare time, Alexis enjoys rollerblading, reading, and anything outside that keeps her active. She also loves llamas and classic rock. Another one of her favorite memories of her time at Ball State includes the time she saw Bob Dylan perform at Emens Auditorium her sophomore year.

Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Alexis recently completed her master’s degree, and graduated during Summer Commencement. As part of the Fulbright program, Alexis will spend over 10 months as an English Teaching Assistant at a K-12 institution, Athens College, in Athens, Greece. She is very grateful and very excited for this opportunity, and is looking forward to gaining a better perspective on education at the global level.

“I truly believe that the field of education can be improved by building mutual understanding within institutions across the globe. Greece is the birthplace of modern education, so as a teacher this experience will be most valuable.”

After her time in the Fulbright Program is over, Alexis plans to pursue a PhD in Educational Psychology.

Congratulations Alexis!