Thirty-three of the 200 high-achieving high school and college students who were awarded a Next Generation Hoosier Educators Scholarship by the Indiana Commission for Higher Education will be attending Ball State University in the fall.

The next Ball State winner we are highlighting is Alyssa Wanstrath.

Alyssa Wanstrath TennisName:

Alyssa Wanstrath (She/Her)

Hometown:

Batesville, Indiana

High School:

Oldenburg Academy

HS Graduation Date:

May 29, 2022

Did you participate in any extracurricular activities in high school?

Yes! I played soccer, tennis, and basketball. I was also a part of the National Honor Society, Student Council, Campus Ministry, Student Ambassadors, and the Adopt-a-Sis program.

What are you planning on studying at Ball State?

Elementary Education/Special Education

What makes you want to become an educator/teacher?

I have experienced the difference it can make to have a good teacher from just an average teacher. Whether a certain subject is of interest should not matter because a good teacher should be able to make the class attentive and interested. I am able to learn so much more when the teacher is invested in me and my learning capabilities. I plan to be this type of teacher for many students and to encourage a love for learning in others.

What made you choose Ball State?

Ball State has a great reputation for their Teachers College and so I knew that I would be getting a great education. I also really like the size of the school and the campus.

When you think about heading to college in the fall, is there something you are most excited about/looking forward to?

I am most looking forward to meeting new people and expanding my knowledge for my chosen major.

Do you have any hobbies? If so, what?

I love to read, enjoy the sunshine, and play tennis.

Fun fact about yourself:

I have 5 younger siblings.

Congratulations Alyssa!