Get to know Sarah Owens, a freshman Special Education major, and the Teachers College Collegiate Senator on the Ball State Student Government Association.

Where are you from?

Brownsburg, Indiana.

What made you choose Ball State?

The Special Education program and distance from home.

Do you have a favorite part of campus?

I love the art museum.

Are you involved with any campus groups besides the Ball State Student Government Association? If so, what?

I’m an honors student, and I am in Ball State Democrats.

Tell us a little about the Ball State Student Government Association, and your role as TC representative.

The Student Government Association is a student-led governing body at Ball State. We serve as the voice of the students. I love being the Teachers College senator, and I want TC students to know that they can always reach out to me about concerns they have about the Teachers College. I will do all that I can do help TC students. My email is sarah.owens@bsu.edu, please feel free to reach out even if it is just to say hi.

What drew you to education, and why did you decide to major in Special Education?

I’ve imagined being a teacher my entire life. I have siblings and friends in Special Education who were mistreated by the school system. I want to be a positive change for a future generation of students.

Do you have any thoughts as to what you would like to do after graduation?

I want to teach middle school Special Education. Eventually, I wish to receive a master’s in Administration. I want to be a Special Education coordinator/administrator. In the long term, I’d love to be involved in politics regarding education.