Andrew Thomas, a Development Master in Information Technology’s Digital Corps, has successfully obtained an internship position over the summer at Amazon in Austin, Texas. He will begin his hybrid internship (spending some time working in the office, some time working remotely) with the Amazon Operations organization on May 17, 2021.

Andrew applied for the position in August of 2020, moved into the second interview round in late September, and was offered the position in early October. He was given a three-part online assessment to complete, including debugging existing code, developing code for new solutions, and walking through a simulation of how his work day might play out while at Amazon. After the assessment, Andrew moved on to a virtual technical interview where he answered questions about code development and to again code a solution to a problem, along with describing his process to the Amazon interviewer.

While he has not yet been assigned a specific development team at Amazon, Andrew is very much looking forward to the experience, and is grateful to the opportunities he has had at the Digital Corps that have helped him achieve this goal.

“The Digital Corps has played a huge role in my growth as a software engineer. They allowed me to explore my potential and continually challenge myself. By providing a safe workspace, the Corps created an optimal environment for growth. I could collaborate with others, share my ideas, and receive critical feedback from my peers that would help me improve. By working with so many amazing, diverse, creative people, I felt inspired to do and become more.”

Andrew also credits the Digital Corps’ Development Team Lead, Bryon O’Connor, for the assistance he received while preparing for his interview.

Brandon Smith, Director of the Digital Corps, is also excited about the opportunity for Andrew.

“Andrew is the kind of self-motivated student we love to hire at the Digital Corps. The process of securing a position with Amazon is intense and incredibly competitive, so I’m very excited for Andrew and the unforgettable experience he’ll have this summer in Austin.”

Congratulations to Andrew, and we wish you the best of success in this new endeavor!