Karen Kay has worked in higher education for nearly two decades, and was recently hired by the Ball State Graduate School as the new Administrative Assistant to the Associate Dean. Read more about her journey and her role at the Graduate School below!

Q: Where are you from and how long have you worked in higher education?

A: I’m originally from Terre Haute but I’ve lived in the Anderson area for 10 years now. I’ve worked in higher education for almost 20 years at two other universities. 

Q: What is your role here at the BSU graduate school?

A: My role is Administrative Assistant to the Associate Dean. I will be providing support services to the Associate Dean and other office staff in the Graduate School. I will also be responsible for verifying employment eligibility, processing assistantships, developing Graduation School communications, and managing event planning.

Q: What drew you to BSU in particular?  

A: I was drawn to BSU because of its reputation for being a great place to work.

Q: What are you looking forward to the most about your position?  

A: I’m excited to meet faculty, staff, and students at BSU. I’m also looking forward to working with my new colleagues in the Graduate School. They have been so welcoming!

Q: What is your favorite snack-food? 

A: My favorite is probably strawberry cheesecake ice-cream!

Q: How can students get in touch with you?

A: Students can contact me via email or phone

karen.mandino@bsu.edu or 765-285-1994.