When Charlie Brown, ’71, and his wife, Louise Tetrick, were presented with a plan in 2020 to build an outdoor amphitheater on Ball State’s campus, they didn’t need the detailed architectural renderings to see the vision. “My main goals were to add to the beauty of Ball State and to drive as many people—alums, students, or the community—back to the campus,” shared Charlie. Situated between Pruis Hall and Noyer Complex, the Brown Family Amphitheater offers an exemplary performance space for students and faculty in Art, Music, and Theatre and Dance programs, as well as for touring musicians and performers.

“In collaboration with our many campus and community partners, the Brown Family Amphitheater will enable our Art, Music, and Theatre and Dance programs to come together as never before. This new space will spark creativity and inspire partnerships for generations to come.” — Seth Beckman, Dean of the College of Fine Arts

Modern in its design, the amphitheater was thoughtfully and comprehensively designed to meet a wide range of production and audience needs. The facility features dressing rooms, a green room, storage space, a control room, a loading dock, and a booth/mix station. “I wanted to serve the campus and community—to draw people to the campus so they can understand and appreciate Ball State University,” said Charlie. Reflecting on his time as a student in the early 70s, Brown remembered loving the campus experience and being engaged in both educational and extracurricular activities.

“I’m proud to be a Ball State alumnus; I can tell you that. And the pride comes out when I get on campus. That’s what I want more people to do. Let’s get them on campus to see what Ball State has to offer.”

To return to the Annual Report webpage, click here.