Generations of alumni, friends, and fans have contributed to the vitality of the University by regularly volunteering, even just a few hours a month. From mentoring current students to organizing a reunion, the University offers countless opportunities for contributions of time and talent. Giang Tran Petroviak, B.UP. ’14, president of the Ball State Young Alumni Council (YAC), felt compelled to continue her involvement after graduation and has done so for nearly a decade. “Ball State provided me with many opportunities to find my purpose and passion, and because of this, I am always happy to give back to the University that gave me so much,” shared Giang.

In addition to her role as YAC president, she participates in mentoring through Cardinals Connect and serves on the Ball State Northeastern Indiana Alumni Chapter Board. In 2021, Giang joined the Campaign Advisory Council. “I have been able to make so many Ball State connections through my time volunteering. I have been able to meet individuals in my city, as well as across the country, that have the same passion and love for Ball State that I do,” she reflected. While she has seen her professional and personal network enriched through volunteering, her desire to positively impact students is the driving force behind her volunteer work at Ball State. As a first-generation college student and an immigrant, Giang found college to be difficult at times.

“The faculty, staff, and peers I had during my time helped me navigate the challenges of higher education and gave me opportunities to gain leadership skills and find my passion for Student Affairs. I hope that through my time volunteering, another student who is in a similar situation as I was can also be provided the opportunity to be successful and find their passion.”

Giang’s volunteer service has earned her recognition. She was recently named as a 2023 Alumni Association G.O.L.D. (Graduate of the Last Decade) award recipient, which is bestowed upon Ball State graduates in the last 10 years who are emerging leaders through professional and/or community achievements.

To return to the Annual Report webpage, click here.