Kellyn McMullan, ’18, is a self-proclaimed “taco enthusiast, fashion lover, and kitty mom” and one of Ball State University’s shining recent graduates. Ramping up for One Ball State Day, McMullan chats about following passions, how Ball State got her to where she is today, and what she would tell future generations of Cardinals.

Q: Will you tell us about yourself?

A: I’m Kellyn (it rhymes with melon), and I’m a 24-year-old living and working in NYC. I work full-time as an Assistant Buyer at Ross Stores, where I help buy apparel for their Young Men’s Collections rack. I also work as a content creator on nights/weekends to create content on social media, my podcast: The KellynIt Podcast, and blog, kellynmelon.com. It’s a busy lifestyle, but it’s fulfilling, and I get to work a job I love and express my creativity in my free time!

Q: What topics inspire your blog?

A: I work in fashion and love creating fashion content. I’ve attended New York Fashion Week and work with fashion brands that I love, so it’s easy to write about these things! I also love sharing my life in NYC because it’s a city full of fun things to do.

Q: What drew you to Ball State’s Department of Applied Business Studies and the Fashion Merchandising Program?

I studied Biology for one semester and enjoyed it, but I decided to switch to Fashion Merchandising and follow my passions. I loved math and fashion and felt like I finally found a major/program that would combine the things I love and prep me for a dream career.

Q: How did you know Ball State was the school for you?

When I visited campus while I was in my senior year of high school, I loved the beautiful campus and energy. I also appreciated that Ball State offered Greek life and many various organizations I could be a part of.

Q:  Who was your most impactful professor?

I loved Professor Audrey Robbins in the Apparel Design and Fashion Merchandising departments! She taught me how to network and build my resume to land internships in the industry. I recently got to speak to one of her classes about my experience in the buying industry, and I’ve also been able to refer some of her students to an internship program at my company.

Q: How did Ball State prepare you for where you are today?

Ball State taught me how to be an independent person. I didn’t know anyone on campus and was very shy my freshman year, so it forced me to come out of my shell and get involved on campus. I was able to be a part of Greek life, work as a resident assistant, serve on hall councils, be involved in Dance Marathon, and make so many friends along the way.

Q: Is there anything you would like to say to current or prospective students?

Get involved if you can! It’s scary to put yourself out there and join an organization where you don’t know anyone. Still, it’s surprisingly easy to make new friends when you all have a similar interest in that organization. You might even make some friends who help you land a dream job! On graduation day, you should be able to look back at the past few years and say to yourself, “I tried everything I wanted to, and I have zero regrets.”

To learn more about the Department of Applied Business Studies, including the Fashion Merchandising program, visit their website. For more information on ways to support the department and program, contact the Ball State University Foundation. Alumni can also make a difference on April 6 during One Ball State Day, a 24-hour celebration of Cardinal pride, philanthropy, and giving.

“Spotlight On:” is a Q&A story series produced by the Ball State University Foundation in which we discuss current events, University news, and the importance of philanthropy. To read past stories, click here.