Written by: Emily Sabens, Public Relations Intern

At Ball State, each student is required to take many (oftentimes non-thrilling) classes that meet the university’s core curriculum. From math, to world history and (shutter) physical education, these classes only seemed like a towering wall I had to climb over before I could get to my journalism courses.

When I signed up for my required introduction to art history class, though, I was actually excited. Coming from an extremely small high school, I never got the chance to study art before; however, trips around the U.S. and a trip to Italy had given me a greater appreciation for art and culture.

When my alarm would ring early in the morning on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I surprisingly didn’t mind because I truly wanted to go to my art history class. As I sat through the lecture, I was enthralled, looking at the enchanting works throughout hundreds of years.

But my absolute favorite part of the class was getting the opportunity to visit the David Owsley Museum of Art.

The first time I walked through DOMA’s front doors and entered the Sculpture Court, I was amazed. As a freshman, I was aware we had an art museum on our campus; however, I never knew just how beautiful and impressive the institution was.

Even after my art history class ended, I continued visiting the museum. Being a college student is stressful, but going to DOMA gave me a serene, calming space that would allow me to forget about all my worries and stressors.

I already had a passion for museums, but this love for art had inspired me, as well. And as I began to explore the options my journalism degree would give me, I realized I could pursue a career in public relations and marketing, and, if I chose to, specifically work in museums.

I got my start last summer as the public relations and marketing intern at the Eiteljorg Museum in downtown Indianapolis. Then, when I returned to school in the fall, I landed an internship with the Muncie Children’s Museum.

And when I saw the internship application posted for DOMA last semester, I knew I had to apply.

These past four months have gone by so quickly, but I have enjoyed every second of my internship here at the museum. I’ve learned so much, have worked with a great staff and have had the honor of simply being in DOMA every day.

I still have a year of school left, but as I look toward my future, I can only hope to one day work in a museum that is as impressive, awe-inspiring and welcoming as DOMA is.