The DOMA Insider has been providing the community with behind-the-scenes stories and reviews of events in the David Owsley Museum of Art for over two years. Content for the DOMA Insider is written by student interns, with the goal of providing the community with an insider’s perspective of the museum. We hope the blog posts allow you to experience the museum in a new way and allow you to keep in touch with all that is happening at the museum. This summer brings three new writers for the DOMA Insider blog. Below is an introduction of the new DOMA Insider writers.

My name is Hailey Beard. I am a second year graduate student working on a master’s degree in public relations. I decided to apply for an internship here because not only do I love museums, but I also love the David Owsley Museum of Art. I feel as though this museum is able to offer a great deal of cultural diversity, as well as a vast variety of events. My ultimate goal is to be able to use my time here as the basis for my final capstone project. I would love to do public relations work at a museum after I graduate, and I appreciate the experience that working here will provide me. I am excited to see where this summer leads me!

10177397_775138642498422_8072451587059850795_nMy name is Emily Dykstra, and I am the educational intern here at the David Owsley Museum of Art. I am currently a junior, and majoring in art with a concentration in drawing. When I was younger my grandfather and I would go to the museums in Chicago. We would spend hours browsing the different exhibits, which instilled a deep love of history, as well as the arts at an early age. I applied to be an intern at the David Owsley Museum because I love all the different collections of artwork and because I feel at home within the museum’s walls. I hope that all who visit this museum will feel the same love and passion I do for the arts and general atmosphere the Owsley Museum has to offer!

My name is Kayla Gurganus and I am a senior at Ball State, working towards a B.S. in General Anthropology major with a minor in philosophy. My interest in interning at the David 20150520_182451Owsley Museum of Art is twofold: As an anthropology major, I am always seeking out information on different cultures and populations to expand my worldview and understand how people interact. By researching art and artifacts, I hope to learn about cultural customs, beliefs, and practices. Secondly, I enjoy sharing my information with others. In the art museum, this is primarily done through informative labels which accompany each work of art. Sometimes these labels are the only information a visitor has access to at a given time. My goal is to give visitors a glimpse into an object’s context that is memorable. I have also participated in the museum’s docent program since Spring 2014, and helped to create the Infinite Museum web experience.

We are all looking forward to reporting on events in the museum on the DOMA Insider blog! Be sure to check back weekly for our latest posts in order to keep up with all that is happening in the David Owsley Museum of Art.