The docent learning program is made up of students as well as campus and community members who have volunteered their time to lead tours and discussions in the museum. Senior Jordan Thomas is one such docent. Thomas has been volunteering at the museum for 3 years and is an art history major here at Ball State. I sat down with Thomas to learn about the kinds of experiences she had to share about her time here at the museum.

KN: How long have you been a docent?

JT:           Three years.

KN: What is your favorite tour?

JT:           I enjoy giving tours for kids about Greek and Roman Art.

KN: What is your favorite work of art in the collection?

JT:           I really enjoy the sculpture Invocation by Theodore Roszak. My favorite special exhibitions were Shout Freedom and The Wrocław School of Printmaking.

Shout Freedom, c.1945 Rosalie Gwathmey American, 1908–2001 gelatin silver print Columbus Museum of Art

Shout Freedom, c.1945
Rosalie Gwathmey
American, 1908–2001
gelatin silver print
Columbus Museum of Art

The Dream Book Cycle, 2012 Manfred Bator  digital print Gift of the Eugeniusz Geppert Academy  of Art and Design, Wrocław, Poland

The Dream Book Cycle, 2012
Manfred Bator
digital print
Gift of the Eugeniusz Geppert Academy
of Art and Design, Wrocław, Poland

KN: Why do you volunteer?

JT:           I first saw an email about the docent program as a freshman. I had taken the first art history survey classes as an Art Education major, and went to the call out meeting. I decided to get involved and went through the two semesters of training. It was actually my experience as a docent that prompted me to switch my major to Art History. It fostered my appreciation for art and gave me a much wider understanding of it.

KN: What is one thing you enjoy about volunteering as a docent?

JT:           People would probably think it would be the actual act of giving tours, but my favorite part of being a docent was always the weekly meetings. I came back for that feeling of being inspired and enlightened, always learning about new art, engaging in discussion with other people who cared about these things, and then turning around and getting to share this new found love with the public. It has been a very rewarding experience.

If you are interested in joining the Docent Learning Program, check out this link to find out how you can get involved at the David Owsley Museum of Art. Call-out meetings are typically during the first week of the fall and spring semesters.

Invocation, Variation #3, 1959 Theodore Roszak American, born Poland (19071981) nickel, Silver, and Steel

Invocation, Variation #3, 1959
Theodore Roszak
American, born Poland (19071981)
nickel, Silver, and Steel