Let us start this ‘Good News August’ post with the song that was played at the University’s 2020 Fall Convocation. Talon Cooper, a ’20 graduate from Ball State with a double major in Telecommunications (Video Production) and Theatre Production Directing, edited the video.
- The City of Muncie was named one of ten 2020 All-America City Award recipients. The award recognizes key civic innovation programs in place to better Muncie—including the 8 Twelve Coalition (CCIM’s immersive learning collaborative partner) and the Ball State-Muncie Community School partnership.
Students & Alumni
- CICS’ alumna and Salesforce VP Karen Mangia published two books: Working From Home: Making the New Normal Work For You (released on August 25, 2020) and Listen Up!: How to Tune in To Customers, And Turn Down the Noise (available for pre-order and released on October 2020). She also shares her formula for success in this blog post.
- Communication Studies alumnus and Emplify’s Chief People Officer Adam Weber published his first book titled Lead Like A Human: Practical Steps To Building Highly Engaged Teams (available on pre-order, released on September 1).
- Communication Studies ’20 alumna Sarah Powell joined Ball State’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions as an Assistant Director of Admissions. As our new admissions liaison, Sarah will help CCIM coordinate upcoming student recruitment activities.
- The Journalism Education Association (JEA) awarded Journalism Education senior Aric Fulton a Future Journalism Teacher Scholarship.
Faculty and Staff
- 3 CCIM faculty earned Ball State 2020 Outstanding Awards at the Ball State Fall Convocation held on August 21:
- Outstanding Service Award: Dom Caristi (TCOM)
- Outstanding Teacher Award: Peggy Fisher (Communication Studies)
- Outstanding Faculty Award: Carrie Shue (Communication Studies)
- 10 faculty members were recognized with CCIM 2020 Awards at the college’s Fall Assembly held virtually on August 21:
- Community Connections Award: Becky McDonald (Journalism)
- Distinguished Researcher Awards: Wes Gehring (TCOM) and Natalee Seely (Journalism)
- Extraordinary Service Award: Steve Jones (CICS)
- High Technology Award: Alex Kartman (TCOM)
- Professionalism Award: Brian Hayes (Journalism)
- Social Responsibility Award: Mike Gerhard (TCOM)
- Steward’s Award: Gary Graham (Journalism Alumnus)
- Teaching Award: Kyle Heuett (Communication Studies)
- Dean’s Faculty Award: Mary Moore (Communication Studies)
- Effective this fall, 3 CCIM faculty members join their department’s leadership teams in Associate or Assistant Chair roles:
- Carrie Shue, Associate Chair for the Department of Communication Studies
- Paige Waters, Assistant Chair for Department of Telecommunications
- Brian Hayes, Assistant Chair for the Department of Journalism
- The Department of Journalism welcomes Curtis Matthews as an Assistant Professor of Journalism (Advertising).
- CCIM Dean Paaige Turner co-authored an article published in Management Communication Quarterly. Titled “Challenging the discourse of leadership as knowledge: Knowing and not knowing”, the article posits that “in times of not knowing, ‘I don’t know’ can be three of the most powerful words a leader can say, yet social and organizational expectations pose a challenge to the leader to confidently make this statement” (2020, para. 2). Read more.
- Ball State University has started construction and renovation to expand the physical footprint of Sports Link and its sports production program on campus. The expansion will add approximately 1,000 square foot to the existing Sports Production center located on the second floor of the Ball Communications Building on campus. The expansion is scheduled to be completed this Fall and functional early-to-mid semester. Read more.