As a biomedical data scientist, Tony Mangino can be considered a lifelong learner. He is always digging deeper to understand his research data, which makes sense, considering the many credentials he’s earned from Ball State University.  

From 2018-2021, Tony accumulated a Master of Arts in Educational Psychology, a Graduate Certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis, a Master of Science in Quantitative Psychology, and a PhD in Educational Psychology. 

He didn’t initially plan to have a collection of postbaccalaureate credentials. Originally, he was enrolled in a Master’s in Education program at another university but found that it wasn’t exactly what he was looking for.  

“It would have been a poor path for me; I don’t have the demeanor for it,” says Tony. “But the education component and the question, ‘Why does Student A learn three-digit addition better using method X, while Student B learns it better using method Y?’, which I routinely asked, steered me toward educational psychology.” 

A bit of research for the “best online graduate programs” led him to Ball State’s Master’s in Educational Psychology. The program also allowed Tony to transfer credits from his prior university, which was an added perk.  

Is Online School for Me? 

A few external factors were involved when Tony chose an online or on-campus program. At the time, Tony was working in construction, and his schedule was inconsistent, so he needed something flexible. He also had a limited income and wanted to complete his degree quickly. 

“Being an online student was fantastic because I was able to complete my course work at, essentially, my own pace (which was usually rather quick) while still having the flexibility to work whenever I was called upon,” says Tony. 

The discipline needed to be an online student has also transitioned well into Tony’s career, as a remote employee. Tony says that he’s more productive working remotely because there are fewer distractions, among other things like commuting time and traveling to and from meetings. 

One thing that I can comment on is the fact that now, as a professional working remotely, my experience with online courses, both as a student and instructor, has given me a new appreciation for the format and a new set of skills many of my collaborators had to develop much later than I did,” says Tony. 

Research Experience and Skills Gained Immediately 

Less than a semester into his master’s degree at Ball State, Tony knew he wanted to continue his studies and pursue a PhD in Educational Psychology. In that short amount of time, Tony gained invaluable skills and resources. 

“It’s not about having taken [this or that class], it’s about the skills you developed in that class. The experiences I had across all my programs at Ball State built a solid skill set that I find myself using often [in my career].” 

From Educational Psychology to Biomedical Data Science 

One of Tony’s most significant challenges as he neared graduation was not his final course work but his decision as to what field and career he wanted to pursue afterward. His new skillset opened his job search to a wider range of careers than ever before. The University of Kentucky took notice and hired him as a biomedical data scientist in the Biostatistics Consulting and Interdisciplinary Research Collaboration Lab (CIRCL).  

“When the skill set you obtained is vaster and more flexible than just the major name on your diploma, you know that you—and your instructors—have done something right.” 

Tony’s confidence in his knowledge and ability only increased once he started his career as a biomedical data scientist. In 2024, he was promoted to assistant professor. 

“My professors gave me such a plethora of skills and resources to use in my career that I find myself better equipped to handle the statistical and research design challenges I encounter than some of my colleagues who have degrees specifically in statistics,” says Tony. 

Purpose In Your Pursuit 

For anyone contemplating more education, whether it’s online or in-person, Tony’s best advice is to “have a purpose for being there.” 

“Think carefully about what you actually want out of your life and career. Then, when you’ve decided to pursue your [educational] credential, know why you want to be [in the program] and commit yourself to that purpose,” says Tony. 

“It will be infinitely less stressful if you take the extra time to think about your goals initially and pursue a degree with that in mind.”