When asking for a professor to write a letter of recommendation, serve as a reference, collaborate on a project, etc., one should follow certain etiquette protocols. While you may not have been told that these rules exist, most of them are thankfully based on principles of politeness, and this detailed explanation can help you ask a professor, mentor, employer, supervisor, etc., for a letter of recommendation, job reference, award nomination, etc.

And just for you, dear reader, I have included example emails from my own “sent” folder and changed up some parts as a template! So while some information can be easily adjusted from these templates to fit your applications, please be sure to make sure you include information relevant to your specific application and its needs! 

In Part I of the Recommendations, References & Reaching Out: Oh My! series, we will take a look at how to ask for letters of recommendation and references! Stay tuned for Part II, where we’ll review how to ask for award nominations, collaboration on projects or research, and how to ask to connect on Cardinal Connect/LinkedIn! 

Asking for a Letter of Recommendation

When asking for a letter of recommendation, it is important to carefully choose the correct recommender. Whether it is for a job, a scholarship, an award, etc., it is crucial to ask someone who is both familiar with your work and relevant to the theme of the job, scholarship, award, etc. For example, if you are asking for a letter of recommendation to apply for a scholarship awarded to someone pursuing a biology major, it may be more relevant to ask your biology professor for a letter of recommendation than your supervisor at the community pool where you lifeguard. While both may be able to speak to your redeeming qualities, the qualities of your personality and work ethic may be presented differently in these two situations. Think carefully about who you plan to ask to write a letter of recommendation because the recommender should be able to speak to your work as a student or employee as well as your personality and good qualities. The person you ask to recommend you should have a specific and detailed, or several specific and detailed, examples of times you showed creative thinking, a strong work ethic, attention to detail, overcoming a challenge, etc. 

That said, it can be good to have people who know you in different but meaningful situations. Dr. Berg, for example, tells us he sometimes gets requests from students applying to medical schools. As a humanities professor, he’s never seen them in a science course or in the lab, so he can’t speak to how they are in that field. But, what he can do is connect the qualities he’s seen from that student in his courses to the kinds of qualities schools want to see in their medical students. He will often highlight the ways the broader honors education has prepared a student for a medical career.

Once you have decided on a recommender, it is time to ask! But, unfortunately, it’s not quite that simple. When you are asked to provide a letter of recommendation, it is customary to give at least two weeks’ notice to the recommender from the time of your email inquiry to the due date of the letter. Two weeks may seem a long time, but for professors, staff, supervisors, mentors, etc., this time goes by quickly. Two weeks is the customary polite period of when you ask for a letter of recommendation, and if possible, consider giving even more of a head’s up! This is a great way to show your recommender that you not only care about what they have to say but that you respect their time as well. 

When composing your email to your recommender (at least two weeks before it is due), do not forget to include the following information:

1. If the letter should be digital (PDF) or written (yes, sometimes that is still a thing)
  2. Who/where to send the letter of recommendation
    1. This can/should include the Name of the person this letter should be sent to, their job title and employer, and their email or mailing address for the letter. 
  3. When the letter is due! 
  4. What you’re asking them to recommend you for
    1. If this is a job/internship, explain the job title and company, what the job duties entail, etc. 
    2. If this is for a scholarship, explain what the name of the scholarship is, and what requirements there are to win
  5. Explain why you’re choosing them as your recommender
    1. DO NOT say that you couldn’t get anyone else or that the recommender you are asking is your second choice or last hope. Your choice should be based only on positive reasons. It may also be helpful to remind them which classes/jobs they know you from and when including any projects you may have worked on specifically.
  6. Explain why you are qualified for this job/internship/scholarship/etc.! 
    1. This can include specific extracurriculars, internships, fellowships, leadership experiences, etc. that are relevant to what you are in the process of applying for 
  7. Include an attached version of your resume and your portfolio/website/previous work that is relevant to your application
    1. You’re also able to include the link to your LinkedIn page if it has a lot of information about your academics, campus involvement, job experience, etc. 
  8. Make sure that you have used spell check and proper grammar, change contractions (can’t, won’t, etc.) into full words (cannot, will not, etc.), and address the recommender with the respect they deserve

***Letter of Recommendation Email Example***

NAME,

      Hello, NAME! I hope you had a wonderful weekend and that you were able to have some well-deserved rest! As the spring semester kicks into gear, so too do applications for SCHOLARSHIP/AWARD/JOB.  As a part of the application process, a Letter of Support is required. I was wondering if you would please consider writing a Letter of Recommendation for my candidacy for SCHOLARSHIP/AWARD/JOB?  

      If you are interested in writing this Letter of Support, I have included a few details about the SCHOLARSHIP/AWARD/JOB, Letter Requirements, and my relevant experiences/work. 

• EXAMPLE AWARD INFORMATION: The Joe and Carol Trimmer Award for Outstanding Honors Senior Projects is a $1,400 scholarship awarded to two students who have completed their Senior Honors Project, with one recipient receiving it for a research project and the other receiving it for a creative project. This award is named for the late Dr. Joe Trimmer and his wife, Carol. Applications for this award, including the Letter of Support, are due by midnight on March 26th, 2024. To read more about the application, please click here.
  • EXAMPLE LETTER REQUIREMENTS: The Letter of Support is also a requirement for submission and, according to the application, it says, “Student applicants must solicit a letter of support from their faculty advisor for the project. This letter should provide a general assessment of the project’s quality and address how and why this project is distinctive or outstanding. This letter must be on official letterhead with a signature and sent as a PDF file by the advisor directly to the Honors College at honors@bsu.edu with the subject “Trimmer Prize.”
  • EXAMPLE RELEVANT WORK: As you may remember, my Senior Honors Project was a creative project resulting in a website that delved into the best practices in the world of diversity, equity, inclusivity, and social justice in the performing arts. This website is intended for use by arts venues and spaces across the country so that all levels of the arts, from community to collegiate, may be able to become more inclusive and accessible. I have linked the website itself in this email above, and have attached my final project submission to this email as well, along with my resume and portfolio.

      I would be truly grateful if you would consider writing a Letter of Support for my project so that I may apply for the SCHOLARSHIP/AWARD/JOB, as your guidance as MY PROFESSOR/SUPERVISOR/ETC gives you a unique perspective on my work on the project from start to finish. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns, or if you would be able to please write this recommendation. I truly appreciate all of the support and encouragement you have shown me throughout the completion of this project and my time in the Honors College.

Thank you!

YOUR NAME 

ATTACH YOUR RESUME, PORTFOLIO/WEBSITE/RELEVANT WORK, AND LINKEDIN PROFILE

Asking Someone to Serve as a Job/Scholarship Reference

Asking someone to serve as a job or scholarship reference is very similar to asking for a letter of recommendation, but with a few minor differences! Oftentimes, references are completed by phone or email and do not require a formal written document. Instead, references typically require you to provide the contact information of someone who can speak to your background and performance at school, work, etc. Many times, these are used when seeking internships or jobs rather than in scholarship or award applications. However, while these are slightly different, the process of asking for an individual to serve as a reference is much the same. It is heavily encouraged, nee, politely required, that you ask an individual to serve as a reference before providing their contact information. 

Typically, the process of choosing someone to serve as a reference is the same as choosing someone to write a letter of recommendation, as you want to provide a relevant contact to speak to your accomplishments and work ethic. Also, if it is possible, try to give at least two weeks notice to a reference. Sometimes in the job world, these reference turn-arounds are a bit quicker than two weeks, but do your best to ask someone to be a reference as soon as you are able.

When composing your email to the person you have chosen as your reference (at least two weeks before it is due, hopefully), do not forget to include the following information:

1. Asking them to serve as a reference for your candidacy for the potential job, scholarship, internship, award, etc. 
    1. Include the title of the job/scholarship, the list of responsibilities/requirements, etc. 
  2. Ask them what their preferred contact information would be for this reference 
    1. Some reference contact forms may require both a phone number and email, but make sure your reference gives you their preference between home phone and office phone, professional email and personal email, etc. 
  3. Explain why you’re choosing them as a reference 
  4. Explain why you are qualified for this job/internship/scholarship/etc. 
  5. Include an attached version of your resume and your portfolio/website/previous work that is relevant to your application
  6. Make sure that you have used spell check and proper grammar, change contractions (can’t, won’t, etc.) into full words (cannot, will not, etc.), and address your reference contact with the respect they deserve

While sometimes you may not know in advance if an organization will email or call a reference, please let the reference know in your email if the organization has highlighted how they will contact the reference. This way, a reference does not ignore important phone calls because they were anticipating an email or any other potential mixup. 

***Reference Email Example***

NAME,

Hello, NAME! I hope you’ve been doing well. I am in the process of applying for a JOB/SCHOLARSHIP/AWARD at/from ORGANIZATION/COMPANY. As part of this process, I am asked to provide references for review. Would you be willing to please serve as a reference for my application/offer acceptance as my PROFESSOR/MENTOR/SUPERVISOR

Here is a little bit about the ORGANIZATION/COMPANY and the JOB/SCHOLARSHIP/AWARD I am applying for.

EXAMPLE COMPANY AND JOB INFORMATION

Hill & Knowlton is a public relations and communications agency that has offices in over 30 countries and offers a variety of services to clients such as Ford, Budweiser, Addidas, and more. The prior link goes to their website, but this link takes you to their LinkedIn page. Their Dallas office is looking to hire me as a Public Relations Specialist which is a full-time position. Here is the job description for that position. 

EXAMPLE QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE JOB/SCHOLARSHIP/AWARD

I know you are familiar with my academic and extracurricular dedication, as well as my professional ambition, and this is one reason why I believe you would make a great reference for this job. As both my supervisor for my Honors College job and as the head administrator for one of the colleges I am enrolled in, I feel you know me on a personal level as well and would be able to speak to my character and achievements as well as my professional capabilities.

Would you be interested in being included as a reference? Please let me know if you are interested and I would be beyond grateful to include you as a reference for this job. I will also include links and documents to speak more about my professional experiences and how I am qualified for this role. 

Thank you so, so much in advance for taking the time to read over this email. I sincerely appreciate your support! Thank you!!

Thank you!

YOUR NAME 

Hopefully, you’re confident now to ask for others to write letters of recommendation or serve as references for different scholarships, internships, awards, and/or job opportunities! While each email or inquiry you send will look different, please always make sure to give as much background as possible, and to give the recommender/reference as much respect as you can. You are asking them to take a piece of your future accomplishments or success into their hands, and you should treat them with the utmost respect possible, including plenty of notice and a good spell/grammar check! 

And whether it’s a recommendation or reference, be sure to always follow up and check in with your recommenders as the process goes along! Even if you get an electronic confirmation they’ve submitted their letter for you or completed a reference, be sure to write and thank them for doing so! When you get word from your grad school, internship, employer, etc., write and let your recommenders know- they are invested in your success! Let them be part of it and thank them for it!!

Now, stay tuned for Recommendations, References & Reaching Out: Oh My! – Part II, coming next week, April 17th! We’ll break down how to ask for award nominations, collaborate on projects or research, and how to ask to connect on Cardinal Connect/LinkedIn!