As we approach the end of the Fall semester, many Honors students will begin to think about graduation. There are lots of great opportunities for 2021 graduates to take part in before commencement, so make sure to keep reading! 

Apply for the Provost’s Prize! 

Are you graduating in May 2021? You can apply NOW for the Provost’s Prize. The prize is awarded to a May graduate who has shown academic excellence by participating in fellowships, internships, projects, and other enriching activities outside of the classroom. 

The prize includes a $1,000 award and a medallion, which will be presented to the winner at commencement in May. Even better? If you win, your name will be inscribed on a plaque in the Honors house! 

Applications are due December 11, 2020, so make sure to apply today! Head here to learn how to apply

Apply for Academic Honors in Writing! 

Are you graduating in December 2020, May 2021, or July 2021? Then YOU can apply for Academic Honors in Writing! Note: You do not have to be a member of the Honors College to apply. 

This unique program is designed to foster and reward excellence in undergraduate writing. At commencement, selected graduating seniors will be honored for their superior writing skills, and the award will also be noted in their transcripts. 

After all materials are submitted, the university Academic Honors in Writing Committee will select university finalists, who will write a common essay on a topic of general interest. Based on the portfolios and the common essays, the AHW Committee will select students to receive the designation Academic Honors in Writing. 

Interested? Here’s how to apply: 

  • Submit to their major departments—in electronic format—a portfolio of class-related writing consisting of 30-35 pages (roughly 8000 words), which demonstrates a sustained excellence in writing. 
  • Collection should include at least one sample which illustrates the student’s ability to write and think about concepts central to his or her major field of study. 
  • Applicants should submit original papers from classes, in either WORD or pdf format.
  • The papers submitted must include instructors’ comments and/or evaluations. If applicants submit work other than originals, they must attach a note or email from the appropriate instructor verifying that the work was in fact submitted for class.

The deadline to apply is December 14, 2020 at 4 p.m., so make sure to apply now! Questions? Email 

Submit your thesis! 

If you’re currently enrolled in HONR 499, plan to enroll in HONR 499 in the Spring, or using a departmental equivalent to substitute for HONR 499, keep reading for important thesis submission information! 

An essential part of the #bsuhonors experience is submitting your thesis to the Honors College! The thesis process can seem overwhelming at first, which is why we’re breaking everything down for you here! 

Because of COVID-19 precautions, the thesis submission process is a little different this year. Through May 31, 2021, all undergraduate thesis forms MUST be submitted by email. Here’s a guide on how to submit your thesis materials virtually

If you’re formatting your thesis, or will be soon, make sure to take a look at the Honors College’s comprehensive thesis guide, to ensure you’re formatting your documents correctly. Information on how to format your thesis correctly begins on page 19.  

Apply for the Joe and Carol Trimmer Award for the Outstanding Senior Honors Thesis or Creative Project! 

If you’re working on your Honors thesis in Fall 2020 through Spring 2021, make sure to apply for this award! 

Thanks to the generosity of Professor Joe Trimmer and his wife, Carol, the Honors College can offer two scholarships of $1,200 each will be awarded for the most outstanding Honors College theses.  One award is given for a research thesis; one is given for a creative thesis.

Interested? Applications along with a complete or nearly complete thesis manuscript and faculty letter of support are due by 5PM on Tuesday, March 23. For the application form and more information, head here

Questions?  Contact Coralee Young at or 765-285-3359.