Following Thanksgiving break, Ball State students will all be participating in remote learning. Remote learning can present a variety of challenges to students, so we’re sharing some tips so you can finish out the semester strong.
Schedule a specific time to do classwork.
We know schedules may change once online classes begin, but if possible, try to dedicate a set time slot for your classes each day. Did you have a set class time on campus? Try keeping with that schedule. Or, try setting reminders or alarms when it’s time to work. Setting up a dedicated workspace can also be helpful in keeping you on track with coursework.
Create a weekly schedule for yourself.
Try to check your Canvas and email as regularly as possible. Update your schedule with important due dates and upcoming assignments. You could use sticky notes, digital reminders, a planner, or even a sheet of paper. Whatever works for you!
Stay engaged and collaborate.
We know online learning can feel isolating at times. Try to keep up the connections you’ve formed with your fellow classmates during your time on campus. Try setting up a virtual study group or group chat to stay connected and up-to-date with classwork.
Practice self care.
It’s been a challenging year. Taking care of yourself is an essential part of being a successful remote learner. You can practice self care in a variety of ways, but here are some ideas to get you started:
- Take some time away from your screen. Try going on a walk, doing some stretches, or taking a break to meditate.
- Build your support network. Reach out to friends, family, and loved ones virtually. Schedule times to catch up with the people you care about.
- Do something just for you. Play a favorite game, read a book, or watch a show or movie.
- Take advantage of the Counseling Center’s services.
Utilize our resources.
Ball State offers a variety of resources for remote learners. Here’s a list to get you started:
- Ball State Online: call 765-285-1581 or send an email
- Bursar and Loan Administration: call 765-285-1643 or send an email
- Career Center: call 765-285-1522 or send an email
- Counseling Center: call 765-285-1736 or send an email
- Disability Services: call 765-285-5293 or send an email
- Financial Aid and Scholarships: call 765-285-5600 or 800-227-4017 or send an email
- Learning Center: schedule an appointment online
- Library Services: ask a librarian for assistance
- Technology HelpDesk: visit website
- Writing Center: schedule an appointment online
For more advice on online learning, check out Ball State’s article on how to be a successful remote learner.