About Anna Bettner: I’m a Spanish and Speech-Language Pathology double major; I hope to be a bilingual speech language pathologist in the future. I’m a Resident Assistant in Botsford/Swinford Hall, a Teaching Assistant for Psychology 100, and a previous Ball State Orientation Leader. I’m in my third year at Ball State and will be back for my senior year next fall.

Anna Bettner

What is your role in Honors Association for Community Engagement (HACE)?

I am the current President of HACE! I am in charge of running HACE meetings, planning and executing volunteer events, and working with a super awesome executive board and group of members.

What are the goals of HACE this year?

This year, I believe that the goals of HACE are more important than ever. So many of us have been affected by COVID-19, and we want to make sure that we are still able to support the Muncie community. The impact of the coronavirus has limited our volunteer reach, but we are continuously participating in Zoom crafting sessions, cross-cultural discussions, and encouraging our members to volunteer off-campus in a safe manner.

What can someone expect when attending a virtual meeting?

When attending virtual meetings, we have lots of fun! We have a 3-week ongoing rotation of activities designed for our members to get to know one another while still benefitting the community through service. Week A is our crafting week, where we brainstorm and construct projects to donate at a later time. Week B is our Cross-Cultural Conversation Day, where we invite representatives from other organizations/communities to speak with us. This is a great way for us to talk about pressing issues in today’s society and gain further perspective of those different from us. Week C, our third week, is our social activity! This gives our members an opportunity to get to know each other amidst COVID regulations. Even though we are navigating a new format, we have a great time at each meeting!

What are some aspects that you are looking forward to about virtual meetings?

Although a virtual format is incredibly new to us, we are excited to find new (and safe!) ways to volunteer. Personally, I really enjoy our crafting weeks. This gives us the opportunity to create something physical to give back to the community. It’s also very relaxing to dedicate an hour of the day to work on a small project with our members over Zoom. Our members are also incredibly caring, dedicated, and driven! We always look forward to checking in with them and catching up, even if it’s through a screen this year.

What is your favorite thing about HACE?

My favorite thing about HACE is the ability we have in building community, both within and outside the club. Within the organization, we become close to one another through our service events and virtual meetings. This helps us stay connected with the Honors College and gives everyone an opportunity to build long-lasting friendships. Outside the club, we’re able to stay connected to the Muncie community by continuously giving back. Service is truly unlike any other, and I am so grateful that we’re able to make an impact together.

Why should an Honors College student be involved in this club?

Being a member of this organization has been such an amazing experience for so many reasons. HACE has helped me, as well as other members, feel more connected to the Honors College and has established a home for me within the program. It has also given me an opportunity to build strong friendships based on giving back to the community. Although community service sounds like just another requirement, it is so much more. It’s a way to connect yourself to others, to the Honors College, and to Muncie in general. The ability to give back through volunteering is so incredibly powerful, and it’s even more fun when you’re doing it with close friends. Joining HACE can bring different meanings to each member, but the ability to make an impact is irreplaceable.