Sara Sorrell is the Assistant Dean of Clinical Skills and Simulation and an Assistant Professor at Khalifa University in the College of Medicine and Health Sciences. She is also a Consultant Physician at Intercare Health Center. While at an undergraduate at Ball State, Sara majored in Biochemistry and minored in Spanish. Sara went on to receive a Ph.D. in Medical Genetics from the University of Cambridge, and an M.D. from the Indiana University School of Medicine. 

Sara Sorrell

How did you get involved in the Honors College?

I was a Whitinger Scholar, so the Honors College was a part of that. I loved my interview, and I always had multifaceted interests, so it was clear from the beginning that I would be more than scientist.

What were your most memorable Honors experiences/classes?

Honors 201, 202, and 203 were fantastic. I had Steven Guy as an instructor, and we are still connected to this day. I visit him and his wife as they are incredibly important in my life as they helped shape who I am today. These classes broadened my thinking and reenforced my critical thinking abilities to beyond the scope of science into the humanities, history, politics, etc.

What was your job right after graduating? 

I have to laugh at this; I’ve been in education forever! After graduation, I kept going to school! After all of that, then I worked for IU Health before moving to the UAE. I see patients 1 day per week, and I’m in the university 4 days per week.

How did being in the Honors College impact you personally/professionally after graduation?

The instructors in the Honors College are crucial in your understanding that you are more than your degree and that you should leap at opportunities in all forms. To think beyond the obvious is a key learning point, and if you fail to grasp this, then I think the Honors College has let you down. It’s not a place that makes you take more classes than you need for your degree, it’s a space to grow, learn, think, and achieve. My friends from the Honors College have gone on to become incredibly interesting people leading fascinating lives. You might say that the Honors College attracts unique individuals, which is certainly true, but they can guide and challenge those unique characteristics to help students achieve the improbable.