Allison Markoski (on the right) with friend, Attorney Dana Hofferber, who made the motion on her behalf the day she was sworn in as a Member of the Bar of the United States Supreme Court.

Allison Markoski is a graduate of the Ball State Honors College, summa cum laude, 2005. She graduated with majors in French and Political Science. While at Ball State, she restarted Pi Sigma Alpha to create a space that would welcome all political beliefs and foster open, dynamic discussion. She was the Vice President of Le Cercle Francais, interned in a Congressional District Office, tutored at Washington Carver Elementary School, and volunteered as an International Conversation Partner. She earned her law degree from Marquette University School Law School in 2010.

She resides in Madison, Wisconsin with her partner, Mike. Most recently, she founded Fibre Forward Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, to promote fiber arts access for all. She works as a tax analyst for the State of Wisconsin, an Independent Hearing Officer for Student Expulsions for the Madison Metropolitan School District, and as an Education and Policy Consultant for Leadership for Educational Equity. She is a former United States Senate Assistant Parliamentarian, Staff Attorney to the Honorable Mel Flanagan, Special Education Consultant at the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, and Employment Relations Specialist with the Wisconsin Department of Corrections and the University of Wisconsin.
In her free time, Allison enjoys traveling through WWOOF, riding her moped, knitting, spinning, reading, and spending time with Mike while cross country skiing, brewing kombucha, vegan cooking, camping, and hanging out with their rescue cats, Cousteau and Winston.

What did you learn from your Honors courses/community that helps you in your profession?

The importance of asking questions and creativity. The Honors College instilled a value of intellectual curiosity I carry with me throughout my non-traditional legal career.

What did you learn from your Honors courses/community that helps you in your life outside of work?

The most important lesson I learned from my Honors courses and community is to never stop exploring, to take risks, and to pursue what sparks an interest. This lesson has led, most recently, to me creating a 501(c)(3) nonprofit for fiber arts, quite literally in my front yard.   

What was the most meaningful Honors class or experience you had?

My most meaningful Honors course was British Fantasy Literature with Professor Laurie Lindberg. I took her three-course series in Humanities, and selected the study abroad symposium with Professor Lindberg. We read several works prior to the trip, and we traveled throughout England to see and experience where the authors wrote. As we speak, I am reading my first edition of “A Princess of Thule,” by William Black. This work of fiction is set on the Isle of Lewis, in the Outer Hebrides, and I travel there in just a few days. Professor Lindberg imparted a dynamic appreciation of the humanities that I carry with me today.

What did you learn during the thesis creation process?

The thesis creation process was an exercise in long-range planning, adapting to change when necessary, and a project of which I was proud to submit. My belated apologies to the library for all the paper and toner used in my research.

What do you miss most about the Honors College?

The Honors College offered me a dynamic learning environment with engaging course offerings. My professors, especially Dr. Lindberg, truly invested my success. Through the power of Instagram, we have reconnected, and it’s a blast!