Where is your hometown?

I am originally from Iran, but my family and I immigrated to the US in 2013. We spent five years in Omaha, NE, and since 2018, we’ve called Muncie, IN, our home.

What are a few of your favorite hobbies?

I very much enjoy exploring nature with my family and engaging in photography across different seasons. I love capturing the beauty of our environment while spending quality time outdoors with my loved ones. I also enjoy going for walks and listening to my favorite music, which is a great way for me to relax.

Where did you obtain your bachelor’s and/or master’s degrees, what were your major(s)?

I received my bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Engineering with a focus on Livestock Science from the University of Tehran in Iran. In the Fall of 2023, I began my master’s program in Biology at Ball State University.

Why did you choose Ball State for your graduate studies?

I chose Ball State for my graduate studies due to its strong reputation for academic excellence and innovative research programs. The university’s commitment to fostering a collaborative and supportive learning environment, combined with its state-of-the-art facilities and resources, provides an ideal setting for my academic and professional growth. Additionally, the faculty’s expertise and dedication to students’ success align perfectly with my goals of advancing my knowledge in Biology.

What first interested you about our graduate program?

I have always been passionate about graduate studies to expand my knowledge, especially in biology. What first interested me about my graduate program was the knowledgeable faculty in the Department of Biology. I am fortunate to be working under the supervision of Professor McKillip, who has had a remarkable influence on my academic journey. Moreover, the program’s well-equipped laboratories and resources provide an ideal environment for innovative research and important scientific contributions. Overall, the combination of expert mentorship, cutting-edge research, and industry collaboration made the program an ideal choice for my graduate studies.

What is one lesson you have learned as a graduate student?

One important lesson I have learned as a graduate student is the value of collaboration and knowledge-sharing in science. Working in Professor McKillip’s microbiology lab has shown me that diverse perspectives and teamwork are essential for tackling complex research challenges. I am honored to be part of this lab family!

Tell us about your thesis and its relation to your fellowship award!

The emergence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria poses a critical threat to modern medicine, attributed to the misuse and overuse of antibiotics in both healthcare and agriculture. Presently, Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) is responsible for over 700,000 deaths globally each year, a number that could rise to 10 million by 2050, alongside substantial healthcare expenditures. The COVID-19 pandemic has underscored our vulnerability to infectious diseases and has intensified the AMR crisis. There is an evident need for novel antimicrobial agents; however, major pharmaceutical companies have deprioritized antibiotic research due to low profitability, relegating this crucial work to academic institutions and smaller entities.

Thus, this project proposes a novel method for discovering new antibiotics by exploring the microbial diversity in an unexplored dairy farm environment. This work aims to identify antibiotic-producing bacteria that can specifically target the ESKAPE pathogens, which are the culprits behind hospital-acquired infections worldwide. In addition, this project will identify secondary metabolites produced by these dairy isolates. Over the past year, I have successfully identified new bacterial isolates with potent antimicrobial activity against these three pathogenic bacteria: Klebsiella pneumoniae, Staphylococcus aureus, and Bacillus cereus.

Thanks to the fund, I could fully focus on my master’s thesis during the summer. Recently, I successfully extracted antimicrobial compounds from the isolates of interest, showing promising results in their effectiveness against related pathogens through bioautography. I’m sincerely grateful for this award, which accelerated my research progress. Hopefully, I’ll conclude the project by the end of the fall semester and defend my thesis in early spring. The outcomes of this work will not only benefit public health by addressing the global antimicrobial resistance crisis but also contribute to the existing body of knowledge on antimicrobial agents.