Sophia Owutey is a recent graduate from the Ball State University Biology Graduate Program! Learn more about her capstone research project and the fellowship she received in the Q&A below.

Q: Tell us a bit about yourself and your time before coming to BSU.

A: My name is Sophia Lawryn Owutey. I am a Ghanaian from Odumase Krobo in the Eastern Region of Ghana, a country in West Africa. I love sports and participated in many sports, but basketball has always been my favorite. I obtained my bachelor’s degree from Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST). I graduated with a BSc. Agricultural Biotechnology.

Q: Why did you end up deciding Ball State would be the best choice for your graduate studies?

A: Choosing Ball State for my graduate studies was an easy decision! As a prospective student, you always look out for schools that will listen to you and give you feedback on time and Ball State stood out of all the universities I applied to. I was interested in the amazing research done by faculty and how passionate the graduate advisor at that time was about helping applicants. I was looking for a graduate program that would help broaden my knowledge in biology. My undergraduate program primarily focused on animal biology, sparking my curiosity about broader applications of biology in human disease and fundamental life processes. The biology program at Ball State University checked all my boxes.

Q: What is the biggest takeaway you have from your time as a grad student at BSU?

A: The most important lesson I have learned as a graduate is resilience, never giving up! I have learned the importance of respect and cooperation. As a scientist, these values are crucial, and Ball State’s Department of Biology empowers students to cultivate essential skills and attitudes for success across diverse career paths.

Q: Tell us about the project you facilitated using the fellowship you received. 

A: I investigated the molecular function of Dfm1, a protein that we discovered unclogs clogged cellular tubes called translocons. Unclogging translocons is vital for maintaining cellular health in all organisms. Translocon clogging has been linked to chronic diseases like type II diabetes. I successfully defended my thesis on July 11, 2024. I discovered intriguing characteristics of cells without Dfm1 and their ability to adapt to adverse conditions for survival. I used funds awarded to me for all my living expenses throughout the Summer semester. The funds enabled me to live near campus for safety, spend ample time in the lab, and afford healthy food, ensuring the timely completion of my research.

Q: Is there anything else we should know?

A: I am grateful for the fellowship award and thankful to Ball State University and all donors for putting the right measures in place to ensure the success of graduate students.