Dushani is a first-year master’s student in Student Affairs and Administration in Higher Education and a graduate assistant for the Graduate School’s Pathways Mentorship Program.

Q. What’s your hometown? 

A:  I am from Sri Lanka.  

Q: Where did you go for undergrad and what did you study?  

A: My degree was a bachelor’s in education from Sikkim, Manipal University in India. And then I pursued the postgraduate diploma from the University of Colombo. Then I also have a master’s in education from Lincoln University College in Malaysia and an international postgraduate certificate in education from the University of Derby. 

Q: So why did you choose the program that you are currently pursuing then? 

A: I have nearly 23 years of experience as a teacher and administrator in K-12

Dushani Eshwaran

Dushani Eshwaran

schools. So, while teaching in a school setting, I used to work in a tertiary education institution as a part-time teacher used to train students for their primary teacher diploma.  I was comfortable working with older students. So, I thought I should go back to working in a higher education institution. So that’s why I chose to pursue this master’s program. 

Q: What’s your goal after graduation? 

A: I haven’t selected the exact area, but I definitely want to work in a higher education institution. 

Q: What are your primary responsibilities as a Pathways GA? 

A: Well, my primary responsibilities are helping graduate students and assisting them with choosing their career path, and supporting them in whatever they require. 

Q: How were those events? 

A: One event was held near the library, and the other event was in the student center. Many students came over and wanted to learn more about the program. So, we provided information about what we offer and interested students enrolled. The student picnic was fun, and we were able to get to know each other.  

Q: Are there any hobbies that you enjoy partaking in? 

A: I love swimming, and I’m into yoga. I also watch videos related to well-being and health. 

Q: Is there anything you would say to students considering pursuing a degree in your field? 

A: It’s a very good opportunity, and I think there are a lot of opportunities in the US in this field. I haven’t heard about these master’s programs in other parts of the world. It has a very clear scope, and I would encourage students to come and join the SAAHE program at BSU