Kayla is a master’s student in the Quantitative Psychology program. Kayla is also a graduate assistant for the Graduate School, serving as the Co-Coordinator for the Pathways Project. The Pathways Project is a Graduate School initiative for inclusive excellence.   The Pathways Project program is designed to support students from marginalized backgrounds through mentoring and research opportunities.

Here is a Q & A with Kayla

Where is your hometown?

Cleveland, Ohio

What are a few of your favorite hobbies?

I enjoy watching movies, trying new restaurants, and singing.

How do you practice self-care?

I practice self-care by taking my vitamins and talking to family and friends who make me laugh.

Why did you choose Ball State?

I chose Ball State because the staff I spoke to were kind and inviting.

What first interested you about your graduate program?

I first became interested in the quantitative psychology program because the course catalog had everything I was looking for to prepare me for a career in research and evaluation.

Where did you obtain your bachelor’s and/or master’s degrees, what were your major(s)?

Prior to Ball State, I attended Howard University where I earned my Bachelor of Science degree in psychology with a minor in allied sciences.

What is one lesson you have learned as a graduate student?

Be open to new opportunities and challenges. In my experience, putting yourself out there and exploring opportunities that align with your interests and goals is always an excellent choice. I could have never predicted that I would have such rewarding experiences as a Pathways mentee, graduate assistant, and member of the Action Research Collective.

What has been the most valuable part of your graduate assistantship experience?

The most valuable part of being a graduate assistant for the Pathways Project is that I get to take part in cultivating equity in higher education by supporting students from marginalized backgrounds.

Is there anything else you would like to communicate about your experience as a GA?

I have the best team! Cheyanne, Dr. Hester, and Dr. Phelps-Ward are kind, encouraging, and talented. It is truly a pleasure to get to work with them.

What are your future plans and career goals?

Upon completing my degree, I plan to apply internally for a higher position at the behavioral health company where I work as a research associate. I also hope to pursue a doctoral degree.