We are highlighting all of the great work that our graduate assistants perform around our campus by featuring the nominees for the 2022 Graduate Assistant of the Year Award.  This award is coordinated by the Career Center, which works with the Graduate School to pick the winner of the award.  We were so impressed by all the nominees that we are going to feature them on our blog.  Congratulations to all the nominees!

Luis Orozco, nominee for Ball State’s 2022 Graduate Assistant of Year Award

For the 2021-2022 academic year, Luis worked as a GA in support of the Department of Educational Studies in the Teachers College. While a GA, Luis assisted with research projects and monitoring and preparing graduate course materials for EDST 671: Evaluation of Educational Programs and EDST 650: Introduction to Qualitative Research. Luis’s nominator Dr. Regina Giraldo-Garcia  wrote this about Luis, “He has helped me advance multiple research projects successfully, including data gathering, analysis, report, and dissemination. For example, one project in which he worked as the leading author titled ‘Adult Education During Covid-19: Best Practices, Technology Tools, and The Instructors’ Perspectives to Enhance Online Teaching, Learning, and Training’ (Luis Orozco & Regina Giraldo-Garcia, 2022) was presented at the 14th annual International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies EDULEARN22 in Palma de Mallorca, Spain. He is actively involved in research projects in adult education, showing his critical inquiry, problem-solving, and active collaboration capacity. He has a comprehensive worldview and creative mind and is always looking for multiple perspectives for problem-solving in teaching and research.”

Q and A with Luis

What was the most valuable part of your assistantship experience?

The most valuable part is the continuous support I have found from the professors I have worked with. They have nurtured and challenged my knowledge and provided a new and practical approach to my learning. Also, the continuous interaction with other GA’s has provided me with different insights about the application of my learning. The supporting environment in the Educational Studies Department has been key to keeping me motivated throughout my journey. Everyone strives to provide the best support in any situation.

How do you think your GA assignment has helped you to grow as a professional and a student?

My role as a GA has provided me with real hands-on research experience that has been translated to my participation in different conferences and journal submissions. Moreover, through this experience, I have been able to identify my research interest and define my dissertation topic to support the local Hispanic community.

Is there anything else you would like to communicate about your experience as a GA?

I will encourage all students to pursue an experience as GA.