Haifa Hanzala is a first-year doctoral student in the Counseling Psychology program.

Where is your hometown?
I was born and raised in Karachi, Pakistan.

Where did you obtain your bachelor’s and master’s degrees, and what were your major(s)?
I received my Bachelor of Arts in English and Psychology from Clark University in Worcester, Massachusetts, and I received my Master of Social Work – Clinical Mental Health Practice degree from the University of Washington in Seattle.

What first interested you in counseling psychology?
I have always been interested in stories and storytelling, which led to my major in English and passion for writing, but I soon found that I was more interested in real people’s stories and personal growth rather than the fictional growth of characters. I love having the privilege of bearing witness to other people’s lives and experiences and am grateful for the chance to make a small impact in someone’s life.

Why did you choose Ball State?
Learning about the rigorous design of the Ball State CPSY program, and how thoroughly it equips students with the skills and training needed for success, immediately convinced me that this was the quality education I wanted for myself. I think the program does such a good job of addressing different areas of expertise and really developing skills in all areas, ranging from clinical practice to teaching and supervision, as well as research and academic presentations. I was excited to have access to the training resources that BSU provides and to be under the guidance of faculty members so renowned in the field.

What do you think of your experience at Ball State as a doctoral student so far?
Overall, I think it’s been really good. There is a lot to navigate, and it definitely feels overwhelming, but I am giving myself time and grace to adjust. Having a supportive cohort has been the most incredible part of this so far and has gone a long way in easing the overwhelm!

What are your research interests?
Broadly, I am interested in trauma and its manifestation in communities of color. I want to explore culturally relevant interventions for trauma in communities of color; lately I’ve been thinking I might want to delve deeper into mindfulness-based interventions and their efficacy for communities of color.

What are your future plans and career goals?
I want to stay in clinical practice – I love doing one on one therapy with people and intend to prioritize that. I also really enjoy clinical consultation and hope to serve in a supervisory role in some capacity, or perhaps be involved in conducting workshops and training in the field.

What are a few of your favorite hobbies?
I love to read. I consume a lot of dystopian fiction and books with psychological themes, but I also just really appreciate beautiful writing (most recently I’ve loved the way Amor Towles writes). I also love watching TV shows (a lot of slow burn shows) and listening to music. I love playing pickleball and try to go for walks every day!

What’s the best book or podcast you’ve consumed recently and why did you enjoy it?
This wasn’t super recent, but I absolutely love the book Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art by James Nestor. I recommend it to everyone all the time. I think it’s just such important information about how healing breathwork can be and that the breath is the most accessible resource that all of us have. It also has a lot of great insights into how we breathe, and our physical anatomy has changed over time. The book is written in a really engaging way and references some really cool studies and experiments. It’s changed the way I breathe and how intentional I am about it!

If you could switch life with someone for a day, who would it be and why?
My ten-month-old nephew; he doesn’t have a dissertation to worry about!

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned recently?
I listened to a podcast about horseshoe crabs and how they have blue blood that has a special coagulation property. Essentially, their blood thickens around any harmful foreign intrusions, making them especially resistant to infections; their species have survived for over 400 million years! The coolest thing, though, is that their blood is the primary safeguard for ensuring that all medicines, medical equipment, and devices (think IVs, needles, surgical gloves, anything that goes into the body) are noncontaminated. I was fascinated to learn about how these seemingly unassuming creatures are the keystone to medical sterility assurance in the world! I highly recommend the podcast, it’s on RadioLab and the episode is called Baby Blue Blood Drive.

What’s the best advice you’ve received recently?
To be okay with not doing everything perfectly all of the time. One of the second year shared this advice and it really reminded me to check any perfectionistic tendencies that might get in the way of my success and my mental peace!