Joseph Hartman is a first-year master’s student in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program.

Where is your hometown?

Batesville, Indiana! It’s a dinky little town about 30 minutes west of Cincinnati. If anyone’s heard of us, it’s probably because of casket and hospital bed manufacturing.

Where did you obtain your bachelor’s, and what were your major(s)?

I went to Ball State for my bachelor’s as well. My major was psychology, minor was criminal justice. Thanks to my high school’s partnership with Ivy Tech, I bypassed most of the core curriculum and graduated in five semesters.

What first interested you in psychology?

I’d been gearing towards engineering until partway through high school but got hit by the perfect storm. I took an intro course through Ivy Tech during junior year: the instructor was phenomenal, the content helped me start to make sense of myself and the world around me. Also, a career in psychology requires way less math.

Why did you choose Ball State?

I’d heard good things about the program, and it’s hard to beat Ball State’s prices. It also helped that I studied here during undergrad; I know the campus/city and have plenty of friends still in the area.

What do you think of your experience at Ball State as an MA student so far? 

There have been a couple of professors whose teaching style didn’t work well for me, but otherwise no complaints.

What are your future plans and career goals?

To be honest, these are still up in the air. Rehabilitating individuals in the criminal justice system is the direction I would like to head in. However, I’m torn between two paths: early intervention with youths, or aiding adults already in the system. My hope is to get some experience with both groups to determine which route I want to take.

What are a few of your favorite hobbies?

Biking is easily my favorite and longest-standing hobby; I spent a great deal of time on the Cardinal Greenway Trail during undergrad. A close second is collecting thrift store oddities.  My current obsession is coffee mugs that say something about being elderly and attractive. I’ve found eight so far, with such gems as “A.S.O.F. (Another Sexy Old Fart)” and “It should be against the law to look this good at 90”.

What food could you not live without?

Skyline Chili. It’s tragic that they’re a regional restaurant.

What’s your favorite TV show currently?

I’m not sure you could call it a TV show, but I’m a big fan of Dimension 20’s various Dungeons and Dragons campaigns. Compelling storylines, interesting characters and gameplay, meaningful social commentary, and Brennan Lee Mulligan at the center of it all.

What’s something about you that people would be surprised to know?

I’m an Eagle Scout! It doesn’t quite fit with my current persona, but Scouting played a significant role in my formative years.

How do you practice self-care?

Exercising, hanging out with friends, practicing gratitude, and listening to some good music. They’re all helpful on their own, and even more so when done in tandem. At the moment, my favorite albums are “Malibu” by Anderson .Paak and “Darkness on the Edge of Town” by Bruce Springsteen.