Dora Tarani is a first-year master’s student in the Social Psychology program.
- Where is your hometown?
My hometown is Gjakova, a small city in the country of Kosovo, Europe.
- Where did you obtain your bachelor’s, and what were your major(s)?
I majored in Psychology at the “University of Prishtina” in Pristina, Kosovo.
- What first interested you in psychology?
I have a deep passion for stories and storytelling thanks to the movies and books I grew up consuming. I wanted to study why those stories move and help people and how I can move and help others with my own stories someday. I want to make stories that don’t just help people acknowledge the joy of living, but to also recognize the beautiful things about life and why they’re worth fighting for.
- Why did you choose Ball State?
Ball State did me the honor of choosing me in a sea of applicants and I knew that the vast lush psychology program was a perfect environment for me to explore the science of humanity with many brilliant individuals.
- What do you think of your experience at Ball State as an MA student so far?
Thus far it has been unreal how harmonious everything is; the students and staff are the sweetest (even for Midwesterners) and sharpest and push me to be my best and somehow make me feel like I am enough at the same time. The campus is gorgeous, the classes are free brain massage that completely elevate the way you think and process the science of humanity.
- What are your future plans and career goals?
I want to pursue a doctorate in Social Psychology with a focus on media, activism and prosocial behavior, and implement some civic engagement and informative projects in Kosovo. I also plan to finish my debut novel before graduating while upkeeping YouTube video uploads.
- What are a few of your favorite hobbies?
I am actually an aspiring creative fiction writer, and I make YouTube videos as well. My favorite activities are writing, singing, drawing, reading and watching TV.
- What food could you not live without?
Pizza and lasagna. I don’t want to live in a world without those cheesy Italian culinary masterpieces.
- What fictional family would you most like to join?
Either the Crystal Gems from Steven Universe or the friend group from Rent the musical.
- What’s something about you that people would be surprised to know? (just as a reminder, this will be shared with faculty and staff, students, and alumni J )
A surprising fact about me is that I’m a brown belt in Karate and can perform “Into the Woods” the musical by myself from start to finish.
- How do you practice self-care?
My self-care routine involves either watching my favorite TV shows while eating my comfort food (pizza, of course) or karaoke with exclusively Taylor Swift songs.