Andrea Bugariu is a first-year doctoral student in the Counseling Psychology program.

1. Where is your hometown?

Shelby Township, MI

1. Where did you obtain your bachelor’s and master’s degrees, and what were your major(s)?

Bachelor’s Degree- University of Akron, B.A. in Psychology

Master’s Degree- University of Oklahoma, M.ED. in Clinical Professional Counseling

1. What first interested you in counseling psychology?

I was first interested in counseling psychology when I was an undergraduate student at the University of Akron. There I was a student-athlete and faced life and sport stressors. During this time, I was exposed to a sport psychologist that worked with our team. Having a sport psychologist on staff peaked my interest in the field, especially in this area.

1. Why did you choose Ball State?

I chose Ball State for a variety of reasons. One of them being the faculty and students. Though I only interviewed with two faculty members, because I was unable to make interview day, I knew this program was a good fit. They were extremely knowledgeable and kind and from that interaction I felt like this program would be a good fit! Additionally, Ball State offers a sport psychology cognate. This was a large part of why I chose Ball State because it fits perfectly with my future career goals. I would like to receive training as a counseling psychologist, with an emphasis on sports, to help set me up for my future career goals.

1. What do you think of your experience at Ball State as a doctoral student so far?

I love my experience so far. The program has gone above and beyond every standard I have set. Both students and faculty, have been so supportive and welcoming! I truly mean it when I say everyone has been amazing thus far.

1. What are your research interests?

My research interests are in eating disorders, disordered eating, and body image.

1. What are your future plans and career goals?

In the future, I want to work as a sport psychologist in a university setting. My dream job is to work as a sport psychologist for a professional sports team.

1. What are a few of your favorite hobbies?

My hobbies include working out, hiking, and travelling. I like to try and incorporate mini weekend get-aways as often as I can. However, it has been slightly challenging to go on mini get-aways recently because I am trying to get adjusted to the program. I hope to continue to incorporate this again, soon!

1. What food could you not live without?

Pizza!

1. If you could have dinner with any two famous people, dead or alive, who would you choose?

Nastia Liukin (Former Olympic Gymnast)

Barack Obama (44th U.S. President)

1. What’s something about you that people would be surprised to know?

I was an All-American Diver, in 2019-2020.

1. How do you practice self-care?

Self-care is something I really emphasize in my day to day life. As I become adjusted to my first year in the program, I have been trying to figure out where self-care fits in my daily routine. Typically, I like to practice self-care by disconnecting from the outside world. I like to light candles, get in my PJs, and watch a movie or TV show.