Storm Carmer (he/him/his) is a first-year master’s student in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program.

Where is your hometown?

Columbus, IN

Where did you obtain your bachelor’s, and what were your major(s)?

I got my B.S. in psychology from Ball State.

What first interested you in psychology?

I had terrible experiences with counselors throughout my life and after years of seeking help, I started seeing the counselor that changed/saved my life. When I met with this counselor, I was able to see how effective and powerful counseling can be when it is done the right way. After that, I decided I wanted to be one of the counselors that does things the right way.

Why did you choose Ball State?

I was actually prepared to go to Northern Kentucky University until some things changed last second, and Ball State ended up allowing me to have late admission. I hadn’t even visited Ball State’s campus until the day I scheduled my first classes, but I’m so glad I ended up here. My experiences at Ball State and in the Muncie community have definitely shaped who I am today, and are the reason I decided to get my Master’s degree here as well.

What do you think of your experience at Ball State as an MA student so far?

I feel like I’ve learned so much in such a short amount of time. My experiences so far have given me a higher sense of purpose, and my cohort is top tier which has allowed for me to gain a support system that has helped my growth as a person and counselor. I see my first client soon so I’m excited to start putting what I’ve learned into action.

What are your research interests?

I like research that is done through a multicultural lens. Lately I have done a lot of research on mental health disparities among the Native American population. Currently, I am working on a research project to learn more about the Muslim population in Muncie.

What are your future plans and career goals?

My goal is to work with groups that could be helped most by culturally responsive counseling, and to provide trauma-related counseling to refugees.

What are a few of your favorite hobbies?

I love watching and playing sports, exercising, spending time with my loved ones, and making music

What is your favorite time of the day and why?

Probably nighttime because everything kind of slows down and that’s when I usually do self-care

What’s something about you that people would be surprised to know?

I played 3 sports in high school: football, track and field, and MMA

How do you practice self-care?

Going on dates with my fianceé, making music, exercising