Tatyana Farrow (she/her/hers) is a first-year master’s student.

Where is your hometown?

My hometown is located in Cary, NC

Where did you obtain your bachelor’s, and what were your major(s)?

I obtained my bachelor’s from the University of North Carolina of Greensboro. I majored in Psychology and doubled minored in ASL and Sociology.

What first interested you in psychology?

I first became interested in psychology my freshman year of college after taking an introduction course and grew a passion for wanting to know everything about the field.

Why did you choose Ball State?

I chose Ball State because it gave me the best opportunity at pursuing my goals and was the program I believed best fit me.

What do you think of your experience at Ball State as an MA student so far? 

So far, my experience has been a roller coaster ride. I still am getting adjusted to life outside of North Carolina, mainly not having real sweet tea or mac-n-cheese has been the downside of moving to the Midwest. But overall, I am getting more familiar with a school schedule and making sure to take one day out of the week for a mental health day.

What are your research interests?

My research interests focus on systemic racism and its effect on the black and brown communities.

What are your future plans and career goals?

My future plans are finishing up my MA and then going on to get my PhD. I hope in the future to open homeless shelters that provide a safe space for families to have their basic human needs met and provide daycare and after school programs to children and teenagers.

What are a few of your favorite hobbies?

My favorite hobbies are reading, baking, and nature walks.

What food could you not live without?

The food I could never live without is pasta.

What’s your favorite TV show currently?

My favorite TV show currently is Loot on Apple TV.

What’s something about you that people would be surprised to know?

Something surprising about me is that I have four younger brothers, the youngest being two, and I have eleven tattoos.

How do you practice self-care?

I practice self-care by making sure I dedicate one hour at the end of each day to relax from homework and my responsibilities before going to bed