Dr. Kinsey (she/her/hers) is a first-year faculty member and CPSY alum.

Where is your hometown?

Leesburg, VA

Where did you obtain your bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, and what were your majors?

Bachelor’s Degree – James Madison University (go Dukes!) in Psychology

MA – University of Dayton in Clinical Psychology

PhD – Ball State University in Counseling Psychology, Research Methodology Cognate

What first interested you in counseling psychology?

Simply put, I wanted to help people. I initially had an interest in helping combat veterans.

What brought you to Ball State?

I had a really good experience in my PhD program. I made forever friends, grew as a counselor and person, and I was well-supported by the faculty and my peers. When I had an opportunity to teach in the same program that helped me become the professional I am today, I wanted to take it.

Please describe your role within the department.

I am an Assistant Teaching Professor of Counseling Psychology on a one-year contract. I teach two undergraduate courses and two master’s level courses. I also supervise doctoral students.

What are your research and teaching interests?

Research – to be honest, I’ve taken a step away from research as I’ve moved into more clinical work. However, my dissertation was on meaningful work. At my previous position, I researched career calling and burnout, effective teaching methods, and stress associated with the COVID-19 Pandemic. I would like to evaluate the effectiveness of community programs within my clinical work.

Teaching – counseling skills and professional development, psychopathology, vocational/career psychology, positive psychology

Outside of academia, what are your favorite hobbies?

Anything outside – hiking and biking are my favorite hobbies. I also like hydroponic gardening, crafts, and cooking.

What food could you not live without?

I know it’s not a food but coffee.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?

I want to visit more national parks, especially in the west. My first priority is Yellowstone. Pictures look beautiful. I think there is something very powerful and healing about being in nature.

What’s something about you that people would be surprised to know?

I’m borderline obsessed with a very niche podcast and it has shaped my humor more than I would like to acknowledge.

How do you practice self-care?

Daily exercise and regular mindful practice, talking with friends and values, and doing activities that connect with my values