Hello Cardinals and welcome back to our Good News outlet. This month is filled with milestones and awards! If you know any of the award winners, make sure to give them a #ChirpChirp to show your Cardinal pride! October is also National Disability Employment Awareness Month. Take a moment to explore your company’s policies to ensure they convey a commitment to an inclusive workplace culture. You can show your support with the hashtag #NDEAM.
- The alumni association is hosting the annual homecoming bed race on October 21st! Check their Facebook for more information.
- Alumni Stedman Graham joined us on October 19th for his incredible lecture!
- More than 300 alumni and friends attended the inaugural Ball State Plus event, State of Ball State.
- The Ball State alumni association had a very successful parade and 5k on October 22nd, don’t forget to sign up to volunteer next year.
- The Hall of Beneficence recipients were recognized at the Daily News 100th Anniversary Dinner:
- Steward Award: Michael P. Smith
- Alumni Achievement Award: Jerry Walker
- Distinguished Alumni Award: Marilyn Weaver
- Inclusive Excellence Award: Gene Policinski
- Excellence in Innovation and Courage Award: Sara Hauck
- Ball State University’s School of Journalism and Strategic Communication inducted Don Yaeger into its Journalism Hall of Fame an author, journalist, and executive coach. Eight other faculty members were also honored.
- Outstanding Journalism Alumna Award: Deana Haworth — Chief Operating Officer, Hirons (Indianapolis, IN)
- Outstanding Journalism Alumnus Award: Stephen Beard — Graphics Journalist, USA TODAY (Fishers, IN)
- Joseph Costa Courtroom Photography Award: Sean Krajacic — Photojournalist, Kenosha News (Kenosha, WI)
- National Writing Award: Esmé Deprez — Investigative Reporter, Bloomberg News
- Young Alumna Award: Jennifer Prandato — Art Director, TODAY.com (NBCUniversal) (Brooklyn, NY)
- Young Alumna Award: Grace Hollars — Visual Journalist, The Indianapolis Star (Indianapolis, IN)
- Indiana Journalism Award: Hon. Marianne Vorhees — Judge, Indiana Circuit Court (Muncie, IN)
- Major Award for Graphic Journalism: Chiqui Esteban — Graphics Director, The Washington Post (Rockville, MD)
- Some of our most talented alumni and students were honored at the National Journalism Writing and Alumni Awards luncheon.
- Check out our latest student spotlight blog featuring Ainsley Hall.
- Ball State’s esports program was named the “EsportsU Collegiate Community of the Year” by Collegiate Sports Management Group.
- Department of Media student, Hope Stauffer, earned the 2022 Philanthropy Award for promoting philanthropy education across campus and leading philanthropy initiatives beneficial to Ball State University. Our CCIM team is so proud of this accomplishment!
- The McKinley Avenue Agency students were named finalists in Best Display Ad, Best Rate Card/Media Kit, and Best Social Media Strategy for the College Media Association’s 2022 Pinnacle Awards.
- The Ball State Daily News was the only student media outlet featured in Washington Monthly Magazine’s annual College Guide.
- The Ball State Daily News is a finalist for nine Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker awards and four College Media Association Pinnacle awards. These organizations represent and celebrate the best college media in the nation.
- Ball Bearings Magazine is a finalist for three Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker awards and three College Media Associate Pinnacle awards. These organizations represent and celebrate the best college media in the nation.
- Come meet some CICS students during an information session, on November 17th or December 7th.
- Chandler, Ball State Daily News and Logan Salzbrenner, NewsLink Indiana. The event was a partnership between CCIM and the Office of Inclusive Excellence.
Faculty and Staff
- CICS faculty Edward Lazaros received a grant from Governor’s Workforce Cabinet as Principal Investigator for his proposal entitled “Professional Development for Career and Technical Teachers with Workplace Specialist I Certification” in the amount of $135,000.00.
- Ball State Public Media’s first week with PMX Fellows is a big success! Junior Adele Reich produced her first story on air and online with IPR News! To see the full story, video Indiana Public Radio.
- Top 100 student nominations are still open, nominate a student until October 28th. This program goes beyond GPA. The Top 100 Student Awards celebrate juniors and seniors who are engaged as students, involved in their communities and represent Beneficence in and out of the classroom.
- The McKinley Avenue Agency is offering $25 Roots gift cards to six (6) randomly chosen people who complete the “Staying IN” survey.
- The CCIM + Career and Internship fair will take place in the David Letterman Lobby on November 17th from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Ball State PBS will celebrate two monumental milestones – the 80th birthday of America’s favorite art instructor, Bob Ross, and the close of the station’s 50th year on the air. Happy Little Fest will take place on October 29th from 11-4 p.m.
- The CICS annual golf outing will be on October 27th, check their Facebook for more details.
- Join CICS for information sessions on November 17th and December 7th.
- Looking for an opportunity to connect with the community? Join the weekly Community Meal at 5 p.m. every Thursday at Avondale United Methodist Church, 1314 W. 10th St. The meal is free and open to the public. Since the COVID-19 pandemic, dinner has been served in to-go boxes on the lawn. Everyone lingers to visit. Reach out to Brian Careless at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to ever help with the meal. It’s a great opportunity for service.
- We have one last Fall Preview Day on November 5 and we are looking for students and faculty to represent their departments. Email Brea Cunningham if you’d like to represent your unit.
- Muncie Habitat has open volunteer opportunities at their ReStore. Restore proceeds help to fund Muncie Habitat’s work throughout the community, while also offering affordable home supplies for low-income families and keeping things out of landfills, allowing students the opportunity to have a direct impact on our community without lifting a hammer.
- Students can volunteer at ReStore on a walk-in basis Tuesdays-Saturdays 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Contact Kate Elliott for more details about volunteering with Muncie Community Schools or the 8Twelve Coalition.
- Currently, West View Elementary is looking for student, faculty, and staff volunteers to help in various ways:
- 90-minute reading blocks
- Monitor lunch room (10:40am-1pm)
- Substitute teachers (paid)
- If you are interested in volunteering with Muncie Community Schools, you must be vaccinated, masked, and approved by Safe Hiring Solutions.
- Muncie Missions the faith-based agency that has brought hope and healing to the homeless and needy of Delaware County for over 80 years is currently seeking volunteers in various areas:
- Serving community lunch
- Sorting clothing donations
- Construction – painting, installing fencing, etc.
- Janitorial work
- Detailing vehicles
- For more information contact Muncie Missions at (765) 288-9122 or on their website.
Did You Know
- The student body places chewed gum on a campus tree. The tree is named, “The Gum Tree” and the act is considered a campus tradition. You’ll find the tree near the business building.
What to Watch
Ball State PBS presents the Feeding Our Community series. Join Dr. Syed and his guests as they discuss food insecurity in Indiana, how school lunches play a vital role, resources available to those in need, and how we can make changes in our community, state, and nation to ensure equitable access to nutritious food.