Meet Terry Heifetz, a Senior Lecturer of Media at Ball State who has worked in media for 30 years. Before joining the faculty at Ball State, Terry was Assistant News Director at WRTV, the ABC affiliate in Indianapolis. He also held producing and management positions in Ft. Wayne, IN, Cedar Rapids, IA, Tampa, FL, and at CNBC and The Weather Channel. At Ball State, Terry helped build several immersion programs, including NewsLink Indiana, the college’s news program, as well as working as the News Director of Indiana Public Radio. Recently, Terry became the Public Media Accelerator Manager leading the new Public Media Accelerator (PMX) Program which offers student employment fellowships in audio, digital, community engagement, and content creation!

* * *

Could you share the personal journey that led you to become a faculty member?

After years in the television business, I was ready to try something new. I wasn’t sure what it was going to be. Then I stumbled onto a position at Ball State. I thought, “what the heck, I’ll give it a try.” I had no idea I would love teaching so much. The rest is history.

What is your teaching philosophy?

It sounds cliche, but it is all about immersive learning. I want to be the guide or coach. The students should drive the bus; I’m just here to make sure it’s on the right path. They get a lot out of it… and so do I.

How do you get students excited about class?

I get them interested through the projects. They are running the show.

Could you give us the top three projects you have worked on?

Unmasked: The Stigma of Meth, Why it Matters: A Tale of Two Cities, and Cardinal Compass.

What has been the proudest moment in your career so far?

There are so many. Our students won a national award for Unmasked and it was recognized in the Statehouse. It was great to see our students honored.

Can you share one thing that people don’t typically know about you?

I play a Star Wars Stormtrooper at charity events as part of the 501st Legion.

Are you involved in any student organizations at Ball State? If yes, what do you do within these clubs/how did you get involved?

I’m a faculty advisor for NewsLink Indiana. It’s one of my favorite things. I can get my hands dirty right along with the students. I love helping them out and seeing them succeed. It’s their work. I just like to think I played a small part in their success.

What are you most proud of?

I’m most proud to be part of CCIM. Seriously. It’s a great college at a great university. We have the best of both worlds… we have the advantages of a large university with the personal attention of a small school. I know that sounds like a commercial. But it’s true.

Want to share your story? Feel free to submit it using our story submission form.